Plinker

Guest CrazyLincoln

Guest CrazyLincoln

Ok guys. I want your opinion on something. Being that 5.56 is so expensive right now, I'm looking for a good plinker. I was thinking I could just get an old SKS and buy that steel cased stuff in bulk. I'm not worried about if it breaks or wears as its only purpose will be for shooting fun. Anyone got a better idea?

BTW. I dont want a .22

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dotsun

I've been thinking the same. Especially since I have a few hundred rounds of 7.62 laying around with nothing to shoot them with. Any idea how much sks's are going for these days?

Guest EasilyObsessed

I bought a Yugo SKS back in Feburary that was still in the cosmoline. Paid $240 for it after tax and background. You can find them cheaper (at least the Yugos), but be sure to disassemble the gun and take a really careful look at it. Some of the cheaper guns have been beat to hell. Not hard, or expensive, to fix a lot of the stuff, but who wants to buy a broken gun?

I bought my AR a month later and haven't even pulled the SKS out of the case since then. If someone were interested, I could probably be convinced to sell it.

Guest CrazyLincoln
Question... Why not a .22? Gotta have a .22!

Already Got one. Ruger 10/22.

The 9mm Carbine/Upper is not a bad idea. I kinda want something in a rifle caliber though.

Wait..... I'll just buy a 9mm carbine AND and SKS, and still have cash to spare for ammo!

Guest Phantom6

Hey dotsun. I'll bring my Yugo SKS to the shoot this weekend. The 7.62x39 is CHEAP to buy right now and you can reach out to about 6oo yds reliably with it. It actually makes quite a good urban sniper rifle. sniper.gif

I took the wood furniture off and replaced it with a black Monte Carlo style polymer stock. I still have the grenade launcher and sight on it but had to take the blade off it for the new fore end. :2cents:

Guest Phantom6
too bad you don't have ammo for the grenade launcher...now THATS a fun day at the range!

*sigh* makes me wish for a mk. 19..

I understand that the Yougoslavian SKS launcher was designed to fire granades patterned after NATO granades (the Soviets had the same idea) since the idea was to over-run defensive installations and use stockpiled supplies which is pretty much how the Soviets fought WWII. That way if the Tito govt. which was non-aligned had to fight to the west or to the east they would be prepared to do so with captured material.

I have found an outlet for the launching ammo. Now all I need is to find the proper blue rubber training granades. Not the bang I would so deerly cherrish but I bet ya I could make someone wet their pants if I fired one in their direction.:up:

The old saying that "happiness is a belt fed weapon" is especially true when it comes to the Mk 19. Nothin' knocks at the door and says "Hi there" like a belt fed, automatic 40mm. :2cents:

Guest dotsun
Hey dotsun. I'll bring my Yugo SKS to the shoot this weekend. The 7.62x39 is CHEAP to buy right now and you can reach out to about 6oo yds reliably with it. It actually makes quite a good urban sniper rifle. sniper.gif

I took the wood furniture off and replaced it with a black Monte Carlo style polymer stock. I still have the grenade launcher and sight on it but had to take the blade off it for the new fore end. ;)

Awesome, I'll bring some of my ammo. :popcorn: I do wish I hadn't sold my sks now.