Why are Schools closed today ?

Electric B

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Kids these days are soft. When I was young we had to walk to school 5 miles up hill both ways!

LOL, and that was in the snow right?

Yesterday (1/14/09) I know my sisters kids didn't go to school, but then again they live in MN were the windchill was a reported -40*:up:

• Administrator

My wife's co-worker is on one of the local school boards. The co-workers told her that the schools around here are barely able to keep the temperature inside within 20 degrees of the temperature outside.

Single digit temps outside = 20's inside. That's pretty damn cold. Apparently many of the older schools just don't have adequate heating or insulation. Couple this with the security risks associated with letting kids wear parkas and such indoors (many schools won't allow that for fear of students smuggling weapons) and you've got a pretty good reason to cancel classes I guess.

My wife's co-worker is on one of the local school boards. The co-workers told her that the schools around here are barely able to keep the temperature inside within 20 degrees of the temperature outside.

Single digit temps outside = 20's inside. That's pretty damn cold. Apparently many of the older schools just don't have adequate heating or insulation. Couple this with the security risks associated with letting kids wear parkas and such indoors (many schools won't allow that for fear of students smuggling weapons) and you've got a pretty good reason to cancel classes I guess.

Sad state of affairs when our schools can't even adequately heat and cool themselves.

Guest Astra900

Yeah well, the school system is so pathetic, they will probably learn more at home on the interwebz then they would at tax payer funded day care anywho.

Guest ProguninTN

I would guess they are closed for previous suggested reasons. Another reason I heard, (and I cannot confirm this) some bus drivers reported kids not dressed for the cold waiting at bus stops. If that's true, the school systems probably are just trying to cover their backs so they're not liable for some kid freezing to death at the bus stop.

Guest Astra900
My daughter never wears a jacket to school because they're not allowed to.

I'm only 31, but crap like that makes me feel really old.

A guy came in the shop last year, a senior, he told me if they catch you with a cigarette (you don't even have to be smoking!) you get a free ride to juvie. Ohh come on!!!!!!

No coats?!?!?! We went wrong back in the early 90's when teachers lost the right to clobber a kid. Beat his a22 and he will mind. It worked for all of us!

You cannot talk to a kid. No coats!!?!?!:up:

I graduated in '95. I can remember my principal lost his shoe one time in the boys bathroom. Why? He was kicking me in butt while cussing me like a sailor. For smoking. He even took my pack away only to throw it at me and hit me in the head. He was a good man. Very well liked. I can remember his words like yesterday; "get out of here you little ba@&$@d, if you wanna kill yourself with these cancer sticks, take your a22 outside, stop making all the rest of us breathe this 2h1t!!!" I got nothing but respect for that guy.;)

Guest abailey362

i remember when schools started banning coats inside....around 2000 i think...about the same time that you had to start carrying a clear backpack