do you carry at home...part II

Back in July 2008, GLOCKGUY posted this original thread:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9651

I was pretty sceptical about CC-ing in and around my own home.

I'm post #52 on the thread.

But what happened to me back in late September 2008 has really got me turning a 180.

I've finally found enough time to post this...so here goes....

I'm going to keep it short and sweet, so I don't loose any of you.

Nobody likes to read "War and Peace threads".

I live in a middle income subdivision (approx. fifty 2000sq.ft homes - nice houses). I cut my own lawn as well as my brother's (1.5 blocks away).

One evening after work, I was getting ready to make the lawn-tractor trek up the road when all of a sudden....incoming. I couldn't figure it out. Something kept zipping overhead and I didn't know what it was. The neighbors' dogs were going ape:poop:. Then, one skidded across my roof and bounced off the neighbor's house....a golf ball.

It appears that the guy who lives behind me, along with about 40 feet of thick woods, has a son that made the golfing team. He'd had a few friends over and instead of driving toward the backstop they'd made, decided to crack a few into the woods with a tennis racket and an aluminum baseball bat.

I was lucky, none of my property was damaged. But, before I'd let anything more happen, I acted. I'd already figured out the situation and knew that standing toe to toe with 3 teenagers and arguing over good neighbor policies would be useless. It was obvious Mom and Dad weren't home, either. So I kept me distance.

My neighbor is a Major with Davidson Co. and works with TBI & FBI.

After talking with him we just simply put a call into the city police. When they came, I talked to them about what the situation was and when asked what I wanted to do about it, I simply replied, just tell them to stop. After all, I have no jurisdiction with my neighbors' kids. Red tape can materialize faster than you can see. I have no idea what the office said.

The LEO goes over, the balls stop, end of story.....until about an hour later.

I'm at brother's house finishing up the yard when a car rolls up with a BIG man and a 14 yr old in it. He's looking for the guy who called the cops.

When he asks me if I'm the one, GLOCKGUY's thread shoots through my mind. I told him, I'm no liar, nor a coward, yes, it was me.

He simply said that his son wasn't responsible and that he wanted to apologize. It was the other 2 boys.

It was obvious, he was being a soar loser about the whole thing. The more he talked the more he got worked up, though. Everyone remained calm. He said he wished I hadn't call the LEOs and that I had a responsibility as an adult to stop the boys myself. I reminded him that it was his yard and his responsibility to prevent it (golf balls being launched)...and correcting other people's children on other people's property was bad medicine.

Before it was all over, I thought I was going to have to come off the mower and do a bad impersonation of Chuck Norris. This guy obviously knew his limitations and backed off, before his fuse blew. they got in the car and went home.

When I was done and packing everything back in my garage, my Davidson Co. LEO neighbor came back out and we discussed the situation.

Apparently "the dad" had come down to my neighbor's house first asking questions and my neighbor was afraid he'd have to "punch him in the throat", the dad was so revved up. When my neighbor then reminded him who and what he was, the dad calmed down and missed his almost deserved throat punching for the night.

I guess that's why he was so calm when he got to me.

Anyway, I was assured I did the right thing and all was cool.

I was most certain, I would be getting a little property damage out of the hole thing. I figured it 2 ways, they've had the police called on them before and didn't want to take any chances...or they've never experienced anything like this and were just petrified.

POINT AT HAND:

Do I carry in and around my home, now? YES

My lawnmower has a new accessory and it holds 7 in the mag.

My apologies to GLOCKGUY for coming off in his post as a douche bag.

There is an situation for every application.

It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

CC-ing in and around the home isn't as paranoid as one would think it to be.

I'm sure there will be several "this is what I'd done" type posts to this thread, and they're welcome.

However, I feel I did the right thing...with exception to being where I was with what I didn't have.

Edited by The Average Joe
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pjblurton

Many of lifes experiences make up what we all call an opinion. And, yes, they are just like a$$holes. We all have one.

I'm happy to hear that you didn't need what you didn't have and everything turned out OK.

I'm also impressed with your candor in pointing out where you think you were wrong. It takes a BIG man to do so. (Bigger than me, 'cause I'm never wrong...:D)

Sounds like a good experience Average. You didn't have to have any physical stuff, but it made you more aware.

I made my decision to never be caught unaware at 16 years old in a car with my friend on a friday night when a gun came out of another car and I saw down a gun barrel for the first time. It is an image I will never forget.

What was it over many of you will ask? I cut the guy off on accident. No more no less.

Sounds like you handled that perfectly. To answer the question yes I always carry unless im in bed.

Poak will get a kick out of this.. One time i carried in bed... i didnt realize it because well lets face it... i forget its there sometimes. I fell asleep on it and had a safety indentation and very dark bruise on my hip for about a week.

Oh... To the OP. Awesome story. I carry in my home as well.

Guest Astra900

Good job Joe. Stop by and gimme some more details sometime, I'll guarantee we know 'em;). If nothing else, you can always give me a holler and I'll take a stroll up the street and scope out the situation:D

In the previous thread I said I carried on my person, even at home. This was mainly because I was not the only person in the house and was the best way to make sure the weapon was secure. My living situation has no changed, so while it may not always be on my person, it is in arms reach. I also carry it whenever I go out the door, even to check the mail. I pocket carry, so pretty easy to just drop it in.

CC at home isn't a bad idea but would you have been justified to use deadly force if the guy attacked you and he was unarmed? Id hate to get in a fist fight knowing I had a gun my attacker could grab.

I live in Memphis. That should tell you I carry wherever and whenever I can at home, staying in condition yellow whenever I am not locked in my house. Even mowing the lawn, etc. Pepper spray close at hand for non-lethal repulsion of errant pit bulls or crack heads. Strategically placed bats and knives. AK for me and AR for the wife at the ready if the Zombies show up.

Last night we had an open house to go to at a school. Chose to store the glock in the carsafe. The metal detectors were not in use when we entered the school. Bummer- should of kept the glock on my person. All went well- no harm no foul, this time.

Guest HexHead
CC at home isn't a bad idea but would you have been justified to use deadly force if the guy attacked you and he was unarmed? Id hate to get in a fist fight knowing I had a gun my attacker could grab.

If he's a really big guy and you fear grave bodily injury, yes.

If he's a really big guy and you fear grave bodily injury, yes.

I am in my home, guy breaks in my home, I am fearing for my life, bang, end story.:up:

I do carry at home for the most part. If I am up and got my go out and do stuff cloths on, ie work, or weekend stuff, I am armed. If I haven't changed from my go out cloths on, gun is very close. I have the added deal that I have 4 kids, and while the older 3 know better, the 4th one doesn't care what I say, (15 months hold!) so I take added measures to secure my weapon, is there a better place than on me? Nope.

prior to obtaining a pistol or permit, the wife and I came down the stairs to go to work one morning and a guy in camo's was standing in my living room. He had been inside long enough to find the kitchen and help himself to some coffee. When getting to the bottom of the stairs and seeing him, my first thought was " today's our day". fortunately, he was only a wayward soul who had got locked out of his halfway house and I was able to talk him out of mine. (BTW, back door was unlocked cause wife had let animals out to pee & 4got to lock it back). Even though door was unlocked, he entered without being invited in and I was definately in fear for our lives. This one turned out good, next one might not. Carry at home, in bed, in car, on the crapper, anywhere & everywhere. Its a mean world out there...

prior to obtaining a pistol or permit, the wife and I came down the stairs to go to work one morning and a guy in camo's was standing in my living room. He had been inside long enough to find the kitchen and help himself to some coffee. When getting to the bottom of the stairs and seeing him, my first thought was " today's our day". fortunately, he was only a wayward soul who had got locked out of his halfway house and I was able to talk him out of mine. (BTW, back door was unlocked cause wife had let animals out to pee & 4got to lock it back). Even though door was unlocked, he entered without being invited in and I was definately in fear for our lives. This one turned out good, next one might not. Carry at home, in bed, in car, on the crapper, anywhere & everywhere. Its a mean world out there...

I take it the wife is more careful these days?

Edit: I always carry even on the crapper too...one of my worst fears is dying on the toilet "Elvis style".

Edited by Magiccarpetrides
toilet humor

Edit: I always carry even on the crapper too...one of my worst fears is dying on the toilet "Elvis style".

I, on the other hand, want to go out that way:

Rich, white jumpsuit with a mini-cape with a sequined bird on the back (Unless it's after Labor day then it would be a dark blue jumpsuit with a mini-cape with a sequined bird on the back), Big sunglasses, an Entourage, and a house full of guns and round bed. :D

The toilet thing is just a ironic bonus. (YMMV) :love:

I, on the other hand, want to go out that way:

Rich, white jumpsuit with a mini-cape with a sequined bird on the back (Unless it's after Labor day then it would be a dark blue jumpsuit with a mini-cape with a sequined bird on the back), Big sunglasses, an Entourage, and a house full of guns and round bed. :D

The toilet thing is just a ironic bonus. (YMMV) :love:

You guys are crazy...Elvis is not dead!

I am in my home, guy breaks in my home, I am fearing for my life, bang, end story.:D

I do carry at home for the most part. If I am up and got my go out and do stuff cloths on, ie work, or weekend stuff, I am armed. If I haven't changed from my go out cloths on, gun is very close.

Same here.

Guest clutepc

Just before Christmas I was in on the Roof hanging Christmas lights wearing a full leg brace because of my recent ACL surgery and wearing my weapon.. :tinfoil:

Clark W. Griswold came to mind after I realized I was a idiot for climbing the ladder with the leg brace, but yes I always carry.