Flooding in East Nashville

hipower

I'm sure we've all been watching the effects of Harvey today. I know I certainly have. There have been facebook postings, as well as all the news reports about flash flooding all over Davidson and surrounding counties.

I dare say that some here are also being hit hard by this. Well, I'm no exception to that. The street we are on is a low one, and we are always watching the rains.

So, in addition to asking for prayers for my immediate neighbors, and all the others in the mid-state; I'd like to request a few prayers tonight for us all.

Things aren't looking too good around us with the water rising, and just now the tornado sirens have gone off.

I hope and pray for us all tonight and tomorrow. Amen.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 4

Thank you my friend. Well it's 2 hours + later. The rains have stopped for now. Weather services say we have 2-3 hours before it starts again. Hopefully lighter and not as much. One inch or less is being predicted for this morning and thru the day.

My back yard is flooded, but not near the house yet. The Cooper Creek/ neighborhood drain for a great deal of Inglewood, runs thru the side of our yard. So we've been watching really closely. When it overflows its banks, we get water in the garage and in the house crawlspace.

I know we have fared better than some in Nashville, southern Davidson and Williamson counties. I've heard of areas from Belmont to Bell Meade with roads blocked and yards flooded. I think Whites Creek Pike got some heavy flooding. I saw several comments about the Emergency Mgt. Rescue boats and crews going out to get stranded people.

So appears that the worst is over for us this morning. The severe storm threat seems to have been dropped, so I got my wife to go to bed. I'll stay up and watch for a bit longer.

Wingshooter, I thank you for your prayers, and hope I don't have to send any for you this weekend. but from what I see; East Tn will be hit with the remains of Harvey thru Friday(today) and Saturday.

I hope for a dry and great weekend for you.

Edited by hipower

Well...I just heard that train roar thru here. Massive winds, more torrential rains. Wave after wave. Lasted about 30 minutes, but sure seemed longer. Must have been pretty localized, as I saw no comments on it on any of the 5 channels I've been bouncing around on. Have some limbs down, but that's all I can see now.

I guess I'll give up on sleep till late, very late this evening.

Prag, I'm sure you've seen the warnings, but appears that Harvey is headed almost due east according to channels 101/52. Seems likely that it will have weakened some, but the Cookeville and Putnam County areas have flash flood warnings still showing on the crawls on screen.

If it's anything like we've had here for the last almost 11 hours...shutter the windows and batten down the hatches...it's a gully washer and a half.

Once again it seems quiet here, but tv maps show more coming.

I don't look forward to seeing what awaits the mid tenn area come sunrise.

Edited by hipower

Ok, unless something bad happens, this should be my last comments this morning. Just started seeing the local early morning news and weather shows.

As expected, several areas of flooding confirmed. Seems that the Whites Creek Pike area got the worst as it looks now to me. Video of boats bring people out of stranded cars and a few homes. Looks like an apartment complex is surrounded by the waters.

I'd hope for better, but weather talking heads say this will continue thru the noon hour with a possible 1-3 inches more rain.

I'd put money on me having trees uprooted before this is over.

Unofficially, I think Nashville had received almost 8 inches in the last 24 hours, with the north and west towards Ashland City and Clarksville getting towards 12 inches.

I begin to have thoughts of Noah this morning.

Thanks guys, I hope this has been some use and at least good for a laugh.

One more thing...please keep the Texas and Louisiana folks in your prayers. It looks really bad. The Houston cleanup may make New Orleans look small. When seeing the views of downtown and the suburbs, the area looks as if it could be huge in scope.

Please donate to the Red Cross, Food Banks, church groups sending truck loads of supplies. There are so many ways we can help. 

PS    My apologies for my fumble fingered typing and misspelling in the header. Seems I didn't know how to fix it after I started. I always said wasn't savy enough to be turned loose here.

Edited by hipower

If you edit the first post in the thread, you should be able to edit the title. At least that's how it works on the Trading Post so I assume it works that way everywhere else on the boards.

I'm with you about sweating a little last night. I wasn't overly concerned about it since we weren't getting as much as we did in 2010, but the estimates kept getting revised upwards all night long and I'll admit to thinking that maybe I should start moving some stuff off the garage floor. One news channel this morning (2 or 4) said we got 12.5" in Bellevue, but the other one said it was 8" in Bellevue. Someone has a faulty rain gauge.

Stay dry, my friends!

Edited by monkeylizard
3 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

If you edit the first post in the thread, you should be able to edit the title. At least that's how it works on the Trading Post so I assume it works that way everywhere else on the boards.

I'm with you about sweating a little last night. I wasn't overly concerned about it since we weren't getting as much as we did in 2010, but the estimates kept getting revised upwards all night long and I'll admit to thinking that maybe I should start moving some stuff off the garage floor. One news channel this morning (2 or 4) said we got 12.5" in Bellevue, but the other one said it was 8" in Bellevue. Someone has a faulty rain gauge.

Stay dry, my friends!

I'd swear I tried that this morning. lol But I was fighting to stay awake, watch the weather, and type. Oh well "two out of three ain't bad." Shameless theft from one of my musical heroes.

Yes, I heard different figures as well all thru this morning. A neighbor here said 5 inches from a cup on her deck, but doubt that's accurate.  I'd really say more in the line of 7-8 here. 4-5 inches is about all the creek will easily handle. Over that and we start seeing it creep closer to us. From the level we saw, and the water in the back yard, I lean towards the higher estimates.

My son has a creek in front of his house in Kingston Springs but house is on a hill but he also has a repair shop and fixes cars there and he spent most of the night with oldest son pulling cars up on high ground that were in the parking area between creek and shop. He had to pull 19 cars into the back yard and all round his house. He said they almost lost one to flood water but got it before it got over the tires and it was the last one. He said the winds got up to about 50 or 60 mph while they were moving the cars also. He said right not the creek is up in front yard but he can get out because him and his son both own big tire Dodge Pickups with lift kits and he and Justin have both been out once this morning to go by gas. He said all the stations have down there is High Test except the Truck stop up by interstate so they filled up both trucks and a few cans and went back home. He said the other day when he filled his wifes car up gas was $2.09 and today it was $2.69.

It got pretty deep up this way. Got called in to work at 1:30 AM because of the flooding. It just amazes me how many people want to attempt to drive through roads with like 3-4 feet of water in cars and expect to make it. I got my boots on the dryer where I had to wade through water to get a lady out of her car. Saw people just basically throw their cars away doing this. I hope none of yall on here had any issues with flooding in your homes.

• Like 3
15 hours ago, Pain103 said:

It got pretty deep up this way. Got called in to work at 1:30 AM because of the flooding. It just amazes me how many people want to attempt to drive through roads with like 3-4 feet of water in cars and expect to make it. I got my boots on the dryer where I had to wade through water to get a lady out of her car. Saw people just basically throw their cars away doing this. I hope none of yall on here had any issues with flooding in your homes.

People think their cars automatically become boats in floods when in many casees can become coffins. Back many years ago I had a monster Truck and I did drive it into flooded roads but water seldom got above the tires and I knew the roads and new what they looked like without water on them so knew which ones to not try also. I had a lot of fun with that big ole truck back years ago..............:clap: