AK 47 Muzzle Brake

Guest tldog

Kinda new here so be kind,,:P..Just bought my 1st AK47,,

Romanian,,GP WASR 10...Looking at adding a muzzle brake..

have a slant cut on the end of barrel..it says it screws on?

I've looked closely and don't see any screw on threads?.

am i looking at it wrong?..:screwy:

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gcrookston
Kinda new here so be kind,,:D..Just bought my 1st AK47,,

Romanian,,GP WASR 10...Looking at adding a muzzle brake..

have a slant cut on the end of barrel..it says it screws on?

I've looked closely and don't see any screw on threads?.

am i looking at it wrong?..:D

There is a springed pin just under the sight base that should detent and allow you to screw it off. Many WASRs had their threads stripped and the brake welded on (in this case, you're screwed). The slant break is perhaps my 2nd favorite, as it directs the extraction energy in the opposite direction and makes the barrel stay on target. My 1st favorite is the AKM type brake, that not only holds the barrel at zero but also negates recoil. My 107, in addition to the counter balancing weight, has the AKM type, my 86s has a slant. In my experience the Phantom brake looks cool, but doesn't address the basic function of the rifle. I believe the Phantom is best left on AR type rifles where the recoil is linear.

I would recommend you shoot your rifle with and without the slant brake before deciding if you need an improvement. Shooting it without the slant brake will equate to the phantom. The slant brake was designed for a reason. It really does work.

DSC00094.jpg

Edited by gcrookston
Guest Todd@CIS

In my experience the Phantom brake looks cool, but doesn't address the basic function of the rifle. I believe the Phantom is best left on AR type rifles where the recoil is linear.

It addresses something more important than recoil properties...muzzle flash. None of the brakes do much of anything about the flash, which from an AK is pretty substantial.

In my experience the Phantom brake looks cool, but doesn't address the basic function of the rifle. I believe the Phantom is best left on AR type rifles where the recoil is linear.

in semi auto, muzzle rise is not really a problem. It is a fairly low recoiling rifle as it is especially with the weight of the weapon. If anything any muzzle jump you get is due in part to the gas piston assembly shifting weight so sharply.

It addresses something more important than recoil properties...muzzle flash. None of the brakes do much of anything about the flash, which from an AK is pretty substantial.

+1. Again recoil is not an issue IMO on semi auto AK's. However, the Phantom 5C2 (not to be confused with the regular Phantom) does help with what negligible muzzle rise you might experience as well as significantly lowers flash.