Reloaded HP for carry rounds?

I have applied for my TN HCP. Been 2 weeks. What I want to know is this. Is it better to use factory loaded personel defense loads vs. hand loaded HP ammo? I am taking about the legal aspect. I have 2 semi auto's that I will use for my carry handgun. A ruger P89 and a Ruger P90. I have loaded up plenty of the Hornady 185 grain XTP for my Ruger .45 acp. And 115 grain XTP 9mm for my Ruger P89. None of these are a hot load. Just want to be sure which I should use. Factory or my reloads. Thanks, gearyr

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its typically best to use factory rounds. Not necessarily for a legal standpoint but because they're going to work 99.9% of the time.. that and you dont have to worry about over charge... etc. There are a whole slew of reasons.

But.. some do carry handloads.

I'd stick with factory loads. Like Sling said they are more likely to go BOOM every time.

There is also the Gun Myths that you could be portrayed in a bad light by an overzealous DA for using "overpowered reloads". "What sir? Were regular hollowpoints not deadly enough for you?!"

That kind of deal. The only case I remember is one Massad Ayoob talked about where a guy loaded his revolver with reloads and his wife killed herself. Problem was they were under powered, not over powered, and some "gun expert" said that dude must have shot her because the powder burns were wrong or something like that. Combine that with a crappy defense attorney and the dude pleaded out to negligent homicide or something of the sort.

Anyway, I carry factory name brand hollowpoints.

I'd stick with factory loads. Like Sling said they are more likely to go BOOM every time.

There is also the Gun Myths that you could be portrayed in a bad light by an overzealous DA for using "overpowered reloads". "What sir? Were regular hollowpoints not deadly enough for you?!"

That kind of deal. The only case I remember is one Massad Ayoob talked about where a guy loaded his revolver with reloads and his wife killed herself. Problem was they were under powered, not over powered, and some "gun expert" said that dude must have shot her because the powder burns were wrong or something like that. Combine that with a crappy defense attorney and the dude pleaded out to negligent homicide or something of the sort.

Anyway, I carry factory name brand hollowpoints.

IIRC,The woman shot herself in the temple.The loads were so under powered that there were no powder burns at the bullet hole.

Go with factory ammo for carry, unless you want to be a test case for some eager young DA or Plaintiff's mouth piece. There's a thread around here somwhere about this and the general consensus is factory loads.

The same goes for home defense.

You never know what repercussions there might be after the fact and this is certainly something that could get you in hot water.

IIRC,The woman shot herself in the temple.The loads were so under powered that there were no powder burns at the bullet hole.

Thanks man that was it! I did think of another incident, I'll pull up the particulars later, but there was a case of a LEO that got in trouble for using handloads.

Guest Astra900

It doesn't matter what the actual facts are, you KNOW some dirty tree huggin' hippy lawyer will twist the facts around and demonize the fact that you handloaded any ammunition used to shoot someone with. They will spin and spew some inane blather about premeditation on your part by taking the time and effort to load the ammo with the sole purpose of killing a human being.

You can come up with arguments against the above till the cows come home I know, but anyone with any sense can foresee that happening. There are just too many good factory loads out there. Besides, if you buy the MOST expensive ammo out there, it should last a very long time if you only use it for your self defense needs.

Just my :rolleyes:

• 2 years later...
The lawyers can do the same for caliber, type of handgun, high capacity magazines and just plain old intent. You have to go with what makes you comfortable and safe.

I agree. "Sir you own a .380, why did you feel compelled on this evening to carry your .45? You knew you were going to shoot someone didn't you?! You intentionally carried a larger, more dangerous, and lethal weapon."

Factory ammo is not infallible. If your comfortable with the ammo, whether your own, or reman, or factory I don't think that is your big concern in a shooting........a 'good shoot' is a good shoot period. All that really matters is that you and your equipment work if you are facing a life-threatening situation.

If you are in legal jeopardy for using reloaded ammo in self-defense, you are already in trouble, IMO.

I'm considering SD loads for short barrel applications, based in part on this tidbit from Accurate:

Accurate No. 2 is an extremely fast burning, double-base, spherical handgun powder suitable for use in a wide range of handgun calibers. Low recoil and low flash make No. 2 well suited for use in short barrel, concealed carry applications.

IANAL, but that statement alone should be a effective rebuttal to a legal ammo challenge. I'll keep good records, and hold some rounds in reserve, just in case.

For all the reasons listed, factory defense ammo is a very, very good choice. There are only 2 "good" reasons to use handloads: 1) you tried to save $50 on defense ammo and are risking everything you own in any upcoming civil suits with unethical lawyers or 2) you want to do something that is cool but probably immoral, illegal, or both. For #1, just bite the bullet and pay for your ammo, its your life (not just survival of the encounter, but possible jail or monetary damages as well). For #2 --- making ammo that always keyholes, or has a steel slug for armor pen, or whatever other foolishness, well be prepared... you could get into a world of legal problems doing that stuff. Don't go there. There are other reasons you might give for using a handload... more accurate, more powerful, less recoil/power or whatever, even obsolete/hard to find calibers, but there are enough variations of defense ammo in enough calibers that you should be able to get exactly what you want in these categories from factory ammo. The risks just are not worth it IMHO -- I am not aware of anyone who was sued over their ammo, but you don't want to be the first one!

There are only 2 "good" reasons to use handloads...
There are other reasons you might give for using a handload... more accurate, more powerful, less recoil/power or whatever, even obsolete/hard to find calibers...

Since none of these is a "good" reason, guess I'll just forget the whole idea. :biglol:

IANAL...ANAY

I don't think it makes a bit of difference. I carry premium carry ammo in my SD guns, not reloads. Not because of legal liability, but because I've had reloads fail to fire. I don't carry cheap target ammo either - I've experienced serious quality issues with target ammo. I've never had premium carry ammo fail. Yeah, it's expensive -- I'm worth it. :D

I've read all manner of opinions on this subject from a myriad of sources and come to a few conclusions.

1)The risk of carrying reloads is greatly exaggerated. If the prosecution is in a position to throw that into the mix this was NOT a very good looking shoot to begin with.

2)While the above is true so is the fact it is incredibly unlikely that you'd ever be attacked by a shark while swimming at the beach...that doesn't mean it can't happen.

3)There are absolutely viable counter-arguements to make against those you'd face for the use of reloads. The problem is that, if you're having to do this, it means you're already in a courtroom having to defend yourself and paying a lawyer. There's not exactly an upside to this scenario.

It's quite unlikely any of us are ever going to shoot someone in SD. It's even more unlikely the type of weapon or load used is going to have any bearing on the case. That doesn't mean carrying factory ammo might not make a positive difference.

Personally I shoot reloads for practice and carry factory.

Guest biohazardmatthew
I have applied for my TN HCP. Been 2 weeks. What I want to know is this. Is it better to use factory loaded personel defense loads vs. hand loaded HP ammo? I am taking about the legal aspect. I have 2 semi auto's that I will use for my carry handgun. A ruger P89 and a Ruger P90. I have loaded up plenty of the Hornady 185 grain XTP for my Ruger .45 acp. And 115 grain XTP 9mm for my Ruger P89. None of these are a hot load. Just want to be sure which I should use. Factory or my reloads. Thanks, gearyr

I believe in good quality factory defensive ammo as your best option for carry. Futhermore when choosing which ammo to carry from a legal aspect the common advise is to carry the exact same brand your local law enforcement uses. That way if you ever do have to defend your ammo choice in court you can say "It's what the police use."

I took a dense class given by my local police and he was telling me of an actual trial in Alabama where a guy defended himself with a gun and also used reloads he had made. The Prosecuting Attorney used the argument that is wasn't good enough for the guy to use factory ammo but he had to make CUSTOM KILLER ammo to make sure he killed the guy. The defendant won the case but the subject of reloads did come up in the trial. I recommend to all my students to use factory ammo in their defense guns to prevent this kind of argument during trial.