Guest nraforlife

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest clownsdd

That is totally inexcusable and should not go unpunished. However, I do believe, if she has the time invested, a forced retirement or other stern discipline, rather that firing.

I can understand her accidentally bringing the gun to school in her purse. Many women, which for the most part I don't believe is the best option, carry in their purse. However, I do not understand how she could drop it and NOT know it. She dropped her cell phone too. Both items make pretty distinct noises when they hit the ground. Sounds to be an awful mistake from someone that wasn't paying any attention and should rethink the responsibility that she has assumed when she bought the handgun.

"I totally forgot I had not put it away," .....Really?....Seriously?

If her mind is that far gone, then maybe she should have found another way to protect herself. She obviously doesn't have the frame of mind to be handeling a firearm.

"I totally forgot I had not put it away," .....Really?....Seriously?

If her mind is that far gone, then maybe she should have found another way to protect herself. She obviously doesn't have the frame of mind to be handeling a firearm.

You make a good point, she also said she was nervous due to previously being robbed and a unfamiliar plumber in the house. If she was that uncomfortable, a priority would have been to have protection, and she did, therefore, IMO, she would not have forgotten to put it away.

Guest johnmattwill

I read just recently on another forum about a guy who went into a bathroom at a hardware store and took his handgun off his belt while in the stall and set it up on the TP holder.... When he was finished, he forgot about it and left his loaded handgun there.... Store clerks found it and called the police....

Hard for me to see how people just "forget" about their guns... but I guess it happens... Pray never to me!!!! :eek:

I read just recently on another forum about a guy who went into a bathroom at a hardware store and took his handgun off his belt while in the stall and set it up on the TP holder.... When he was finished, he forgot about it and left his loaded handgun there.... Store clerks found it and called the police....

Hard for me to see how people just "forget" about their guns... but I guess it happens... Pray never to me!!!! :eek:

Back a year ago or so, here in Memphis, a Sheriff's Deputy left her gun in the courthouse bathroom....Anybody from Memphis remember all the details on that? I'll be looking when I can.

I also was talking with a cop at the range one day and he had just finished up a call at a Mapco where a guy left his gun on the back of the toliet. They were called, while they were writing everything up, this guy comes walking in, head down, looking embarrassed. He was not charged with anything.....

It happens, complacency is a bithc.

Edit: Heres the story

Sheriff's lieutenant leaves loaded gun in court restroom

By Lawrence Buser

Saturday, January 12, 2008

In a tight-security building often populated by gang members and assorted felons, the discovery of a loaded gun this week in a public restroom of the Criminal Justice Center caused some anxious moments for judges, lawyers and court personnel.

The .40-caliber Sig Sauer pistol with 13 rounds and two 12-bullet clips, as it turned out, belonged to a veteran deputy. Still, that did little to calm some nerves.

"Many people could have been shot or killed if the wrong person had walked into that bathroom and found the gun," said Criminal Court Judge Lee Coffee. "It's a total breach and breakdown of security. You had many, many lives put at risk."

The department-issued weapon and officer's duty belt was found by a court reporter at about 1:15 p.m. on Wednesday atop a tissue dispenser in a stall in the women's restroom on the seventh floor.

The court reporter notified a deputy who retrieved the gun, which belonged to Lt. Mary K. Rhodes. Rhodes is on the command staff for courtroom security.

Sheriff's spokesman Steve Shular said the gun had been there for about 15 minutes.

"In her haste to return to work, she left her gun (and) belt in the stall," Shular said Friday.

He said Rhodes, a 27-year veteran, was counseled by her captain about the incident, which will be added to her personnel file.

"Lt. Rhodes has never had a disciplinary action before and is regarded by her captain and fellow deputies as an exemplary employee who made a mistake," Shular added. "She deeply regrets what happened."

Judge James Beasley Jr., who presides over the closest courtroom about 40 feet from the restroom, said he hopes everyone will learn from the incident and outlined his concerns in a letter to Sheriff Mark Luttrell.

"I have gang members and their families in and around the courtroom daily," Beasley wrote. "The public bathroom is just feet from my front door. I know that you have the same concerns that I do about courthouse security and are constantly striving to improve same, but this is an example of how easily the best laid plans can go awry."

Edited by db99wj