New Speaker may not be Republican!

Didn't know if anyone has seen this yet.

http://politics.nashvillepost.com/2009/01/13/there-are-two-is-in-kent-williams-but-no-rs/

State Rep. Kent Williams’ tenure as a self-proclaimed Republican Speaker is likely to be very short-lived, as a challenge to his status as a bona fide Republican is already moving forward at a fast pace.

Eighteen members of the Tennessee Republican Party State Executive Committee have signed a written document, presented tonight to Tennessee Republican Party Chairman Robin Smith, challenging the “bona fide†status of Rep. Kent Williams as a Republican.

The action, which triggers a review under Party bylaws, comes after Williams broke his signed oath (and multiple verbal promises reported in various media and made to various Republican lawmakers and party officials even as recently as Tuesday morning) to vote for the House Republican Caucus nominee for Speaker, Rep. Jason Mumpower.

“Williams put personal ambition ahead of honor and lied his way into the Speaker’s chair,†said Bill Hobbs, Communications Director for the Tennessee Republican Party. “Elected by Republican voters in the historic 2008 elections that saw Republicans win a majority of House seats for the first time since 1868, Rep. Williams chose to betray his party and his constituents. Party bylaws – which Williams was aware of - provide a clear and straightforward process for the challenge to Williams’ status as a bona fide Republican as a result of his actions today. We expect the process will move quickly.â€

If Williams is stripped of his status as a member of the Republican Party, he will not be permitted to run on the Republican ballot in 2010.

Upon entering a reception these evening, committee members presented their challenges pursuant to the Tennessee Republican Party Bylaws. “Action will begin immediately to address the actions of Rep. Kent Williams,†responded Robin Smith, TN Republican Party Chairman. “His commitment today was not to Republican Principles, but to the blind and shameless pursuit of personal power. He cast his vote for a Pro-Tax, Pro-Gay, Pro-Abortion, Anti-Gun Liberal Democrat to preside in leadership against all 49 of his Republican colleagues.â€

“This challenge will move swiftly to honor the character and integrity of the 49 members of the Republican House Caucus who stand committed to the Republican principles and the voters who support them. Acting like Ronald Reagan in Carter County but Jimmy Carter in the Capitol has resulted in an official challenge of Mr. Williams’s status as a Party member,†Smith said. “I look forward to the work ahead with our state leadership to strengthen our party, grow our party and honor the wishes of Tennesseans by electing a true Republican as Speaker of the Tennessee House.â€

“If Rep. Williams is stripped of his membership in the Republican Party in a process in accordance with the bylaws of the Tennessee Republican Party, the Party will insist that Speaker Williams no longer be referred to in media accounts or state government websites as a Republican,†Hobbs said.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

But what would this win if the Repubs stripped him of his membership in the caucus? All it would do is flip the power back to the Dems and eliminate any chance of Repubs charing committees.

It sucks having a turncoat but when you have a one vote majority you have little 'wiggle room'.

But what would this win if the Repubs stripped him of his membership in the caucus? All it would do is flip the power back to the Dems and eliminate any chance of Repubs charing committees.

It sucks having a turncoat but when you have a one vote majority you have little 'wiggle room'.

and the difference is? If they go along with it the Rebs will just look incompetent because the Dems will have the power behind the scenes and take no blame.

Looks like the power has already been flipped. I don't think the Dems would've all voted for him if they didn't think he couldn't be used, best believe they are going to remind him of how they all voted for him and made him speaker. Not really a one vote majority.

Also he will have to run as a Dem or either an Indy in the next election.

I'll give him a chance but I'm not putting much stock in him right now

The new speaker, with no Repub backing him, will probably get trounced in his next re-election bid by a dem candidate with Naifeh's backing. Williams will be screwed for he will not have backing of either party. I suspect this has been Naifeh's grand plan all along. I am hopeful that park/restaurant bills at least will get a floor vote, but am not holding my breath.

Guest GLOCKGUY
The new speaker, with no Repub backing him, will probably get trounced in his next re-election bid by a dem candidate with Naifeh's backing. Williams will be screwed for he will not have backing of either party. I suspect this has been Naifeh's grand plan all along. I am hopeful that park/restaurant bills at least will get a floor vote, but am not holding my breath.
The Republican will back some other Republican in that area. I'm sure Williams will lose his Republican status. He will have to run on a Democrat ticket or as a Independent.