New Speaker of the House: Rep. Kent Williams

Guest GUTTERbOY

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GLOCKGUY
mailto:speaker.kent.williams@capitol.tn.gov

Here's his spankin' brand new e-mail address. Might not be a bad time to offer our congratulations and let him know how strongly we feel about bills, such as restaurant carry and state parks carry, getting to the floor for a fair up or down vote. :confused:

Yep I agree we all need to send him a email. I just got done sending mine. ;)

The people in his district voted for a Republican to represent them. He should be booted from office and the state Rep. party appoint his replacement until the next election. Today's vote for Speaker of the House should also be voided and since he was a Rep. at the time of his election to that position the Rep. party should be able to appoint the Speaker of the House.

I'm not a Repub and I fuller agree with the above though I'm not a Dem either.

A poster above said people need to stop looking at the letter beside a persons name and I agree. I saw some Repubs in their TV ad's didnt even put what party they were in from being scared of backlash of Bush.

The people who donated money should start a class action (or multiple individual) lawsuit to recover the money they donated based on his previous statements. IF they could find a sympathetic GOP lawyer to take the cases extra cheap (or free) the cost should just about bankrupt Williams.

I'd like to see the locals just stop eating at his food joint.

I, for one, am boycotting Williams' restaurant, Dino's. Easy for me, doubt I'll even be in Elizabethton during his tenure. But folks who are in that fair city and care about how they were played sure should think twice, and then again, before eating there.

I agree with you guys. Especially if what was said above was true about him going to the Dems to back him.

You know how he's going to spin it to his voters. I'm now speaker and I can funnel money and projects our way..:confused:

Here's his spankin' brand new e-mail address. Might not be a bad time to offer our congratulations and let him know how strongly we feel about bills, such as restaurant carry and state parks carry, getting to the floor for a fair up or down vote. :confused:

I would love to but will have to wait a few days or else it would go something like this.

Dear Mr. Sell Out to your voters,

I hope they try to recall your butt and stop patronizing your restaurant.

None of the best,

Daps

;) not serious, i dont think

Guest HexHead
It also says he is a Restaurant owner......wonder how the could factor in on carry there.

Aren't we always hearing the restaurant association is against restaurant carry?

I don't think this douchebag is going to help us one bit.

I think we all really know the answer to that. News will not be good.

What happened to Mumpower, thought he was a done deal?

He like all conservatives was betrayed by Williams who has long been a republican in name only. He is another Naifeh puppet. Tennessee politics as usual. I truly hate this man and Naifeh

Even though I am not a fan of how he obtained the speaker job, the quick interview he gave afterwords possibly pointed to some light at the end of the tunnel:

In a brief press conference, Williams talked about what he'll do as speaker. He promised to appoint Republicans to at least half the committees. The Q&A follows after the jump.

Q: You said some bills bottled up for years will come to the floor? Will that include the abortion resolution?

Williams: Yes. Abolutely, that'll be the No. 1 priority. That will come to the floor, I can assure you of that.

Q: What else?

Williams: Some of the gun bills that have been killed over the years. There won't be any committees loaded down to kill legislation. That's not going to happen.

Q: So who's in control, Republicans or Democrats?

Williams: Republicans are in control. 50 to 49.

http://blogs.nashvillescene.com/pitw/2009/01/naifeh_outsmarts_republicans_a.php

I guess only time will tell. :shrug:

Even though I am not a fan of how he obtained the speaker job, the quick interview he gave afterwords possibly pointed to some light at the end of the tunnel:

http://blogs.nashvillescene.com/pitw/2009/01/naifeh_outsmarts_republicans_a.php

I guess only time will tell. :shrug:

I don't trust this man...

I may change my mind after some of the bills start hitting committees and he gets them to the floor but for now I see him as a lip service guy and he knows the gun crowd aint happy with how he came to be speaker

Williams said that legislation Republicans have long sought to pass, including an anti-abortion constitutional amendment and more lenient gun bills, will make it to the House floor for votes under his tenure.

“I’m not going to stack committees against anything,†he said.

We'll see. There are many pro-gun dems in the state house, it has always been believed that if many of the bills that were killed in committee had made it to the floor, they would have passed.

So while maybe he didn't get in the speaker's seat by the most up and up means and he isn't the one that most of us wanted there....he may not the worst thing in the world either.

Here's his spankin' brand new e-mail address. Might not be a bad time to offer our congratulations and let him know how strongly we feel about bills, such as restaurant carry and state parks carry, getting to the floor for a fair up or down vote. :shrug:

Yep I agree we all need to send him a email. I just got done sending mine. ;)

Sent my letter to the new speaker this afternoon around 2pm.

We'll see. There are many pro-gun dems in the state house, it has always been believed that if many of the bills that were killed in committee had made it to the floor, they would have passed.

So while maybe he didn't get in the speaker's seat by the most up and up means and he isn't the one that most of us wanted there....he may not the worst thing in the world either.

Very true, just because the are a democrat, doesn't mean they are not progun. There are some. Look at Len on here, even though he is not on here much. He is a self proclaimed conservative democrat, there are more like him across this state.

We will see. Only speculation at this point. Hopefully he doesn't prove to everyone that he is a liar.

Copy of my e-mail. I went for direct, but nice.

Mr. Speaker,

First I would like to say congratulations on your appointment to this position. A change has long been needed in this position and I hope that you will be the change we want and need, not the change that is rattled around in the pockets of the politicians in D.C.

Now, if I may, I'd like to ask your consideration and support for the thousands of gun owners, permit holders, and hunters that make up your voters in the fine state of Tennessee.

Many bills that would help law abiding citizens protect themselves and their families have died at the hands of the former speaker before OUR elected officials have ever gotten a chance to vote for or even against them.

As an NRA member you should understand the gun community and the difference in an intelligent, trained citizen and a criminal. I work in the firearms training industry and have personally seen thousands of men and women trained and educated on the careful and responsible use of firearms. I only ask that you now support us!

Just a few bills that we would like to see passed are Restaurant carry, Park carry, and any bill that protects gun owners rights and punishes criminals who use firearms illegally. Several states in the U.S allow their permit holders to carry in restaurants and parks and there are NEVER any reported problems with this, the reason for this Mr. Speaker is simple, law abiding citizens DO NOT break the law.

As a gun owner, citizen of Tennessee, and a voter I ask for your support in helping us get these common sense bills passed so that we may protect ourselves and our families wherever we choose to go.

Thank you,

Guest JavaGuy

Punisher,

That was a very good email. I believe everyone would be best served to put the harsh rhetoric back into their pocket until it's actually earned by Williams. As I've stated before, I think one big problem nowadays is the harshness political partisans use towards each other. Democrats, Republican, Independents.. you'd better look to your bottom line and the things you have in common with each other before picking at the scabs of old wounds and trying to tear each other apart.

It's right and proper to tell him what you expect, what you'd like to see happen in the legislative process.

I've seen some comments on various comment pages saying that his ambition led to him screwing over his party, lying, etc. Let's face it. Every single elected representative in every elected position anywhere.. anywhere.. has the ambition part in spades. Some of them control it better than others. Mumpower's ambition.. what about that? Come on.. whomever tugged the strings and made the play.. well, you don't have to like it, but it was well played. I didn't like the outcome of the Ravens-Titans game either, but the Ravens played better where it counted.

As for the lying.. he said he was going to vote for a Republican - he did.. himself - and he said that Mumpower was going to be the nominee of the Republican caucus - Mumpower was.. Those two statements aren't connected. Williams also didn't say that he was voluntarily switching parties - he said that the Republicans might kick him out. That is a whole different thing from saying something like, "ha ha. Fooled you. I'm going to be a Democrat."

My opinion.. that and a few bucks will get you coffee and doughnuts at Shipleys or Krispy Kreme.

Punisher,

That was a very good email. I believe everyone would be best served to put the harsh rhetoric back into their pocket until it's actually earned by Williams. As I've stated before, I think one big problem nowadays is the harshness political partisans use towards each other. Democrats, Republican, Independents.. you'd better look to your bottom line and the things you have in common with each other before picking at the scabs of old wounds and trying to tear each other apart.

It's right and proper to tell him what you expect, what you'd like to see happen in the legislative process.

I've seen some comments on various comment pages saying that his ambition led to him screwing over his party, lying, etc. Let's face it. Every single elected representative in every elected position anywhere.. anywhere.. has the ambition part in spades. Some of them control it better than others. Mumpower's ambition.. what about that? Come on.. whomever tugged the strings and made the play.. well, you don't have to like it, but it was well played. I didn't like the outcome of the Ravens-Titans game either, but the Ravens played better where it counted.

As for the lying.. he said he was going to vote for a Republican - he did.. himself - and he said that Mumpower was going to be the nominee of the Republican caucus - Mumpower was.. Those two statements aren't connected. Williams also didn't say that he was voluntarily switching parties - he said that the Republicans might kick him out. That is a whole different thing from saying something like, "ha ha. Fooled you. I'm going to be a Democrat."

My opinion.. that and a few bucks will get you coffee and doughnuts at Shipleys or Krispy Kreme.

So backstabbing the will of the people, your own party, and Tennessee in general hasn't earned anything? Wow, the koolaid must be good.:shrug:

As far as looking to commonality, when ideological bases are opposites, compromise will only get you killed. True an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind, that's why you better take both of the enemies first. This whole kum-ba-ya mentality is how partisan ship gets rampant. It is just another tactic to get an upper hand by the minority who can't win on the strength of their own beliefs. If people would be more honest about what they believe and why they believe it, we could actually get a whole lot further along. The naivety of commonality is to deny the nature of mankind and the unversal laws of truth. There is right and there is wrong. When you compramise truth you just make chaos. Look at our country and the TN legislature. It is in chaos. Why, compramise. The feel good medicine. Problem is it is like coccaine, it shure feels good all the way up till you die.

Rant off.

Edited by Smith
Guest JavaGuy
So backstabbing the will of the people, your own party, and Tennessee in general hasn't earned anything? Wow, the koolaid must be good.:shrug:

Let's start with "will of the people." I personally haven't seen any polls that asked the entire population of TN which Republican they wanted for speaker. I'm not trying to say Williams is better than Mumpower or vice versa.. but he is a Republican (or at least until they kick him out) and he did replace Naifeh. From what I've seen, that "will of the people" as represented here largely consisted of "get rid of Naifeh." Okay, mission accomplished.

His own party... Okay, I haven't really looked to see what he may or may not have signed.. or the specific wording of the pledge. However, I've read the quote where he said that he was going to vote for "a Republican." He did that. However, it wasn't the Republican the rest of the folks wanted. He is no more guilty of doing something to satisfy his ambitions than Mumpower, Naifeh or any other elected official.

Tennessee in general.. Just saying here... but my take is that all of this us against them is counter-productive. No matter which side your "us" is.. His statement was that he wants to move forward in a non-partisan manner and do the business of the state.