car people/enthusiasts

50 minutes ago, Randall53 said:

I'm not sure what's up with that, but during the night in the 60's, I'm thinking many stations backed down on the power or simply went off the air. I couldn't get WLS until nighttime. I'm thinking around 9pm. I do know it was loud and clear. I asked for an RCA multi-channel radio for Christmas one year, around 1960 or so, and got one to my surprise. I had a grandfather that was paralyzed from a coal mining accident in the late 40's and he had one for baseball games. He was a baseball nut and I think I took after him!! Love me some baseball...!!!

Skywave at night. For example, my AM station here in Nashville is a 50,000 watt clear. We stay at 50k at night, but go directional to protect Boston and Spokane. Pretty much everybody else on our frequency has to shut down. It's hard to hear the thing in Brentwood during the day due to all the man made noise. But, you can hear it on the Gulf Coast at night.

Most AM's have to reduce their coverage at night.

1 hour ago, mikegideon said:

Skywave at night. For example, my AM station here in Nashville is a 50,000 watt clear. We stay at 50k at night, but go directional to protect Boston and Spokane. Pretty much everybody else on our frequency has to shut down. It's hard to hear the thing in Brentwood during the day due to all the man made noise. But, you can hear it on the Gulf Coast at night.

Most AM's have to reduce their coverage at night.

Thank you for the explanation MikeG. I know reading about WLS in this thread sure pulled a string in my heart. Of course I haven't thought of that in a very long time. It's impossible to explain to the younger generations the simple joys we had so long ago. Mom's delicious, but simple breakfast of bacon and eggs when school was out in summer. Hitting the door as soon as that was over to swim or fish in the creek or maybe play army in the woods. Maybe play cork ball with a taped up fishing cork and a broom handle, or ride bikes to a local store where you could get a bottle of Coca Cola, an ice cream sandwich AND a bag of peanuts all for 25 cents. We'd hit the woods and hunt Blue Jays and black birds with a BB gun, but we'd better not shoot a robin, red bird or song bird and let our parents find out.......I do know my dad was a woodsman and said the Blue Jays ate other birds eggs and Black Birds were a nuisance so there ya go. Simple times long gone. Like listening to WLS after going to bed.

Edited by Randall53
  • Like 1
On 5/6/2017 at 8:32 PM, xsubsailor said:

Did you look through their website? If all else fails, you can go to www.chevytalk.org and I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Thanks for the link. I talked to a member on the site and he shipped me the motor mounts. $65 bucks and they will be here in a few days. The Bel Air will soon drive again again.  The mounts are being sent in from Canada, which is really funny and ironic to me.  On a side note, I picked up another 68 bel air, (white) to hack off body parts and replace my rear window and my trunk lid and lip.  I might turn it into a bel camino if I can salvage the front. And throw in a C30 dually rear end just for fun. I might even rebuild my old block that has been sitting in the garage for the last five years.

4MuQraH.jpg

Now I have the major car groups covered. American, German and Japanese. Three speed, six speed, five speed. Need to add a four speed to the mix.