TN General Assembly convenes on Tuesday

Guest GUTTERbOY

The repubs who voted for Naifeh are mostly either gone or are slated due to ranking to be very powerful in a repub lead house so there isn't a tremendous gain for them to do so. Mainly it was to kiss ass in the past. McDaniel will be speaker pro tem in the repub house, which is a pay off essentially in my book to keep him voting right. So he doesn't stand to gain anything by a Naifeh win. Naifeh is a note taker like John Ford so the only concern I would have is Naifeh having something on someone and trying to blackmail them.

I would think the repubs are more concerned about them utilizing some antiquated parliamentary procedure to keep from having a vote. Some extraordinary circumstance procedure not used since reconstruction or something.

If you can't attend you should watch it on streaming, it should be interesting and historic.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For Naifeh not to win all 50 Repulican Reps must 1) show up and 2) vote against him.

A tie (49-49) means he's still in, at least temporarily. If two R's don't show up and/or vote for him. He's in.

This is simply not true. I'm not sure where this rumor was started, I've heard it several times in the last few weeks, but it is not correct. State Constitutional law specifically states that the previous legislature binds no ties to the current. Every two years we have a new legislature.

Edited by Warbird
Here is the link to be able to watch the video feed at noon.

http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/schedule/default.aspx?type=house

Just click on the little camera icon on the right, under view video....

So, can anybody see video?

I just get page saying at top, "Windows Media Player is required to view the videos. This can be downloaded for free from the Microsoft website here."

Which I have installed.

Get same page/notice with FireFox and IE.

???

- OS

Guest GUTTERbOY
[DUH]

Eastern Time here

[/DUH]

thnx,

- OS

Yeah, I made that mistake when I wanted to watch a committee session last year.

Even after about 18 months here, I still seem to regularly forget that there's a time zone change like 30 miles west of me. At least it works in my favor... if I forget to account for it, it just means I'm an hour early arriving somewhere, which beats being an hour late...

It was a little tougher when I was in San Diego for a month and tried to call my parents regularly. (In NC) I had to remember to call them before like 6 PM.

Guest GUTTERbOY

FYI for those attempting to tune in... I couldn't get the video to work in Firefox, my normal primary browser; I had to fire up Internet Explorer. So if you're having trouble watching in Firefox, just bite your lip like I did...

Guest GUTTERbOY
Wow...a little different looking than last year.

Wonder if in committee meetings it will show the text of each bill as it is discussed?

I wouldn't count on it... they'll probably just have the committee agenda up in that side window. As I recall from last year, that usually included a brief summary of each bill.

I wouldn't count on it... they'll probably just have the committee agenda up in that side window. As I recall from last year, that usually included a brief summary of each bill.

You may be right. But that would be nice even. Last year I had to pull that up in a seperate window.

I believe they are going to be showing the entire session on News Channel 5+ (pluse), that's channel 50 for Comcast Cable viewers.

The GOP may have some Democrat crossover votes for Munpower.

You are right about Channel 5+, hope you are about the other as well.

Guest GUTTERbOY

Interesting. Can anyone comment on whether this 30 minute recess thing is really as "normal" as Rep. Odom claims?

I can't think of any reason why it would be an issue, but I dunno...

EDIT: Oh well, moot point now... another 30 minutes of waiting...