Arkansas traffic stop report

Guest truthsayer

Guest truthsayer

I had to drive to Little Rock to pick up a friend from the airport. I had my 1911 and a mag on my Bianchi patrol belt because I'm tacticool. I was also doing 84 in a 70. Not cool, apparently. I was pulled over by an Arkansas State Police officer just past the Stuttgart exit headed East on 40. As he approached, I turned on the dome light and got my license and permit from my wallet. I kept both hands on the wheel as he approached and had both IDs in my hand. He asked if I knew how fast I was going and what I was doing in Arkansas as he looked at the IDs. He asked if I was armed and I told him that I was. He asked what I was carrying and I told him. He asked me to clear the gun and hand it to him. He made sure it was unloaded and looked at it for a minute and he said "Nice gun. Slow down, son." With that, I was on my way.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jackdog

well the cost of the ticket would have been more than you spent for your hcp in all likely hood. I've gotten a pass on a few speeders since i started carrying. Only ran into to one LEO that was a ass hat over the carry thing but even he ended up leting me go.

I had to drive to Little Rock to pick up a friend from the airport. I had my 1911 and a mag on my Bianchi patrol belt because I'm tacticool. I was also doing 84 in a 70. Not cool, apparently. I was pulled over by an Arkansas State Police officer just past the Stuttgart exit headed East on 40. As he approached, I turned on the dome light and got my license and permit from my wallet. I kept both hands on the wheel as he approached and had both IDs in my hand. He asked if I knew how fast I was going and what I was doing in Arkansas as he looked at the IDs. He asked if I was armed and I told him that I was. He asked what I was carrying and I told him. He asked me to clear the gun and hand it to him. He made sure it was unloaded and looked at it for a minute and he said "Nice gun. Slow down, son." With that, I was on my way.

It's a tough call when an LEO asks you to draw your handgun and pass it to him. Back up patrols may see it differently and shoot you. I've had many LEOs maintain that the better approach is to ask the LEO to do the honors.

It's a tough call when an LEO asks you to draw your handgun and pass it to him. Back up patrols may see it differently and shoot you.

WTF are you frothing about now?

WTF is a "back up patrol"? and who have they shot exactly and when?

I've had many LEOs maintain that the better approach is to ask the LEO to do the honors.

WTF do you do that you have such input from "many LEOs"?

- OS

Guest pjblurton

I've been pulled over twice in the last month doing 10 over both times...

I followed this same procedure above to the letter and got a ticket both times!

Prior to these two, It's been over 10 years since I've been puled over for anything. They both caught me in the holiday rush I guess. HCP didn't get me out of a ticket though. Honestly, I didn't expect it would. (But neither did being polite, couteous and smiling...)

I must look like a real a$$hole that needed a ticket for doing 10 over. (And no, they didn't knock it down to 10 over, I was really doing 10 over)

- OS

I think what he may have be talking about is...

Trooper 1 pulls you over...he ask you to unload your weapon and hand it to him. As you are handling your weapon and/or handing over, Trooper 2 who heard the stop on the radio, pulls up and sees you with a weapon out in the proximity of Trooper 1.

Trooper 2 may see that as a threat (not knowing the situation) and fire to protect Trooper 1.

I don't think he said this has happened, just that it could.

I don't know anything about the second part....

Guest Astra900

Would it be too much, or impolite to tell the officer:

Yes sir, I will be happy to, but I don't want there to be any misunderstandings when I take it out. Can we please let your partner know what we are doing?

A measly 20 seconds of your life to say something to this efffect, would solve that problem on the spot.

Guest truthsayer

While I love a good round of the "what if" game, doing anything except what an officer instructs you to do is, in general, a bad idea. I complied fully and had no problems other than having to roll down the passenger window so that I could reload my weapon with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. There was a pretty big and heated thread on what to do during a traffic stop. In light of that thread, I decided to post my experiences. :D

Good deal Truthsayer! Glad it went well for ya.

It's a tough call when an LEO asks you to draw your handgun and pass it to him. Back up patrols may see it differently and shoot you. I've had many LEOs maintain that the better approach is to ask the LEO to do the honors.

W...T...F? :D

Interesting that a LEO to ask you to touch or reach near your weapon for a minor law infraction. To me that is down right ludicrous. WHY in the world would he possibly want you to do that ? You've shown him your CC permit! You're legal! What am I, a law abiding, tax paying citizen missing here? Seriously, an inquiring older mind would like to know.

I've been approached by a game warden while carrying and the last thing in the world I expected was the command to 'turn over your 'gun'.

ray, the oldogy

Interesting that a LEO to ask you to touch or reach near your weapon for a minor law infraction. To me that is down right ludicrous. WHY in the world would he possibly want you to do that ? You've shown him your CC permit! You're legal! What am I, a law abiding, tax paying citizen missing here? Seriously, an inquiring older mind would like to know.

I've been approached by a game warden while carrying and the last thing in the world I expected was the command to 'turn over your 'gun'.

ray, the oldogy

Sounds to me like it was requested out of a good humored "show and tell" session.

Guest db99wj

ray, the oldogy

Sounds to me like it was requested out of a good humored "show and tell" session.

I thought of that as well, I guess it would depend on how the LEO said it.

Guest Astra900

It's never happened to me that way, but that's the way I took it too when I read the above.

Guest GUTTERbOY

Concur. Though I would have worded such a request as "Mind if I take a look at it?" instead of "How about clearing it and handing it to me?"

Then again, I wasn't there, dunno what the exact words were or how they were said, blah blah blah, yakety smakety, derisive comments, mad laughter.

:P

Guest canynracer

- OS

maybe he will answer you, cause he wouldnt answer me.

This should be good.
I agree:popcorn: Edited by canynracer
I think what he may have be talking about is...

Trooper 1 pulls you over...he ask you to unload your weapon and hand it to him. As you are handling your weapon and/or handing over, Trooper 2 who heard the stop on the radio, pulls up and sees you with a weapon out in the proximity of Trooper 1.

Trooper 2 may see that as a threat (not knowing the situation) and fire to protect Trooper 1.

I don't think he said this has happened, just that it could.

snip.

I really didn't think it was that hard for some to understand, but thanks for clarifying it to them.

Edited by Ggun
specific wording
Guest canynracer

In the OP there WAS no 2nd trooper.... or are we going to the "What Ifs" again... cause if you go there, then yes, our feeble minds here on the forum dont understand.

and once again, there is a question for you. in TWO threads now...