Compact 1911 style .40 s&w?

PackinMama

I'd like some advice and opinions from you guys to help me decide which pistol would be best. I want a compact, lightweight, 1911 style .40 s&w pistol....preferably in stainless. I see that Kimber USED to make their Ultra Carry II in 40 s&w, but not anymore....which is really too bad because I like that one a lot. I've also been looking at the Springfield .40 EMP's and they look pretty sweet. I really like the Colt Defender Lightweight .45, but it looks like (from what I can tell) that they never made that gun in .40 s&w. Basically, I'd like to have a nice, reliable, higher end (but not too high!) pistol....not more than $1200-1300 otd. I've got some time before I'm ready to buy, as I need to sell one or two to fund this purchase. So help me out all you 1911 guys....what should I get?

I want to come on over to the 1911 side and see what all the fuss is about! :popcorn:

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest VolGrad

I personally wouldn't get a .40 in a 1911 (or any other platform for that matter but that is personal taste). You have many more options in .45 and that is the caliber that The Great One intended. Yes, .40 gives you a few more rounds but the .45 gives a bigger hole and a more pleasant recoil (IMHO).

I am sure this is the crap you didn't want to hear. Sorry. :popcorn:

You will find your quest a little difficult. 40 S&W is a compromise between 9 and .45 and the 1911 platform is designed best in one or the other. There aren't any real benefits to a .40 1911 over a 9mm or .45 1911.

I picked up a Colt Defender at the gun show in Sparta this past weekend and it felt AWESOME! That's really what got me wanting one. I guess the biggest reason I want to stick with .40, other than the fact that I just plain like it, is that I'm well stocked up on .40 ammo. I hate having too many different calibers of ammo to stock up on. So, if I go with a .45, I'm going to have to spend a bunch more $ on ammo.

Doesn't anyone have a EMP or Ultra Carry in .40 and like it?