.22LR DOPE card

ehull20000

I have compiled the information for a DOPE card with my .22lr trainer, but I've never done this before.  If someone can review my process and maybe point out any areas I didn't think of I would greatly appreciate it.  

I gathered data in three ways.

First, I shot groups at 30, 40, 50, and 60 meters to measure the actual bullet drop from my rifle.  My rifle is zeroed at 30 meters.   

Second, I shot 10 rounds and recorded the velocities with my chronograph.

Third, I plugged the numbers I had into the ballistic calculator from the Berger Bullets website.  The DOPE card it spit out seems very close to my actual observed drop.  I think the only things left to do is watch out for velocity fluctuations due to temperature variations and record the effect of wind.

I also checked my scope for accurate tracking by doing a box test as well as just randomly twisting the turrets and then returning it to zero.  I'm pleased enough with it's performance although an upgrade is in my future. 

Thanks for any help.  

http://CZ 452 DOPE image_zpsozs4homv.png  

• Like 3
11 hours ago, MikeCarter said:

Just remember with a 9:00 wind your impact with by at 4:00 and with a 3:00 wind your impact will be at 10:00.  

Agreed, it's nice to figure out your dope up and down, but reading crosswind is the hard part.  It takes a lot of time to really get good at it.  

If you have an Iphone get Ballistic AE, worth every single penny. It is $20 but allows you to do some amazing stuff. I was making 350 yard first round hits using subsonic 22lr and my Iphone. It lets you zero and input your zero conditions then as the conditions change it will automatically change with the conditions. You hit a icon in the app and it polls local cell towers to determine you location then it gathers all data that affects bullet flight then adjusts accordingly. It takes into account the earth's rotation, the curve of the bullet flight based on whether you have right or left twist barrel as well as having pretty much every factory load as well as every bullet available for use.

• Moderators
If you have an Iphone get Ballistic AE, worth every single penny. It is $20 but allows you to do some amazing stuff. I was making 350 yard first round hits using subsonic 22lr and my Iphone. It lets you zero and input your zero conditions then as the conditions change it will automatically change with the conditions. You hit a icon in the app and it polls local cell towers to determine you location then it gathers all data that affects bullet flight then adjusts accordingly. It takes into account the earth's rotation, the curve of the bullet flight based on whether you have right or left twist barrel as well as having pretty much every factory load as well as every bullet available for use.

Right now it's $12.99.

Ballistic: Advanced Edition – JBM Ballistics Engine, Trajectory Calculator, Rangefinder & Shooting Target Log by Peak Studios LLC

https://appsto.re/us/yS0es.i

Thanks for the replies.  I agree the wind is the hardest part along with me doing my part.  

I bought the Ballistic: AE app and I'm excited to go shoot as there is a difference in the solution in the app and what the calculator on the Berger website gave me.  This app has a great many features that I'm going to have to watch some YouTube videos to get the most out of it.  I think this will be a handy addition to my Kestrel.