338 win mag?

my82cam

i have been thinking about getting a big bore gun for some big game hunting....i have been thinking about the 338 win mag in either a winchester model 70 or remington 700. is this a good caliber for big game with somewhat low recoil? or is there a better caliber to go with? i have heard bad things about sort magnums or ultra mags. is this considered a short mag? i have been thinking about a safari hunt in africa when my wife and i got next year so i want to be able to say "but my deer gun is good enough to take big game honey, just let me go for a day or two." i hope it will work!!! lol

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if I were going to go that far and spend that much I would look at something a little bigger than a 338 win mag. That is a good elk caliber and is good for thin skinned game. If that is all you plan to hunt and you don't expect to ever run into dangerous game then it might be a good choice. If it were me, I would like at something like a 375 H&H, 458 Win Mag, 458 Lott, probably in a good Mauser action. A real 98 if I could find one. I would use a low power, high quality scope like a 1.5-6. Have BUIS in either express sights or peep type, something you can acquire quickly under stress. Just some thoughts. Plus, we can cast some bullets and load those big cartridges down to 45/70 levels and plink for fun. Save up some more WW's for that.

Also, there is always Alaska, "grizzar bear" as Will Geer might say.

I agree with glockster. the 338 win mag is a good deer/elk/moose cartridge but wouldn't be my choice for Africa. Most PH's will tell you the minimum caliber for Africa is the 375 H&H or 375 Ruger. Ruger makes a M77 African in 375 Ruger that is a great gun. I have one and it is a real thumper.

Looks like you just might have to buy you a new gun...:doh:

how good of a thumper is it? lol i don't want to be picking myself up off the ground or breaking my shoulder! i'm kind of a medium small guy 5 11 165lbs. i don't want to have more damage to me than the animal i'm shooting at....i appreciate the info...now i need to go shopping around!

how good of a thumper is it? lol i don't want to be picking myself up off the ground or breaking my shoulder! i'm kind of a medium small guy 5 11 165lbs. i don't want to have more damage to me than the animal i'm shooting at....i appreciate the info...now i need to go shopping around!

I would find someone who has one they will let you shoot before you decide on the 375. It is a Thumper !!!!

I had to laugh reading this thread. (I’m laughing with you not at you.) ;)

You are talking about going into an environment where most of the animals will kill you and eat you, and you are getting advice from folks that hunt deer not much bigger than dogs. :crazy:

A quality big game rifle would cost thousands and all it would be good for when you got back is a conversation piece at parties. “Big Game†and “Low Recoil†just don’t go together.

Wouldn’t you be better off to rent something after you got there?

lioneating.jpg

Edited by DaveTN

If you do not have a PH or a rifle I highly recommend Looking up MG ARMS.Karry O'Day has built a few rifles for me and has customized and accurized many of my rifles and shot guns.A .375 H&H Improved is all you need for plains game.He and his wife both spend alot of time in Africa,If he cant fit you in to his camp he will send you to the right place.His ultra light rifle recoil is equal to about 4 calibers smaller.

I had to laugh reading this thread. (I’m laughing with you not at you.) ;)

You are talking about going into an environment where most of the animals will kill you and eat you, and you are getting advice from folks that hunt deer not much bigger than dogs. :up:

A quality big game rifle would cost thousands and all it would be good for when you got back is a conversation piece at parties. “Big Game†and “Low Recoil†just don’t go together.

Wouldn’t you be better off to rent something after you got there?

lioneating.jpg

when i say "low recoil" i mean something that wont lay me flat on the ground everytime i shoot it! yeah, i do think it's funny deer hunters are telling me what to do...but i will take all the advice i can get!! :D

Guest TnDeerHunter

I have the 338 win. mag in a ruger m77 great round for hogs and black bear or any thin skined game although in my opinion a little overkill for thin skined game. Great round lots of possibility when hand loading, easy to down load. Equipped with a muzzle break not bad on recoil. I would have to agree with others, plains game would be fine but if I were going on a trip to Africa I would most likely go larger. If using a ph ask and see what caliber he would be comfortable with you using, that could go a long way toward a enjoyable hunt. I don't know about in Africa but I go to Argentena dove hunting and they rent shotguns which makes it a lot easier on travel plans and you know for sure you have a weapon when you get there, I guess everyone that has flyed the friendly skis has had luggage lost at one time or the other.

For plains game in Africa, a good 300 magnum (take your pick) is ideal. However, if you are going after larger beasties, then you will need something larger. Most countries have a "minumum" caliber that they allow you to use when taking dangerous game, normally .375. Have a gander at the CZ 550 safari grade rifles in 375, or 416 Rigby. They aren't expensive $800-$900 and will cleanly take anything on the planet. Also, you can go the lever action route with a Marlin 45-70 loaded up with some super hard cast garret type loads and they as well will anchor anything you care to shoot at. One of the latter two will be my choice when I go hunt these next year...http://www.profihunt.com/en/pr_bear_kam.html

i found a friend that has a 338 win mag and another friend that has 375H&H and a 458 win. i'm going to take all 3 and go shoot them saturday and see what i like...probably wind up going with the 375H&H. i did find some articles that says for small plains game that 30 06 or 7mm mag with the right ammo would be ok but is the smallest cal they recommend, i would rather be safe than sorry

well...i went out and shot the 375H&H and a 458win mag. had a great time!!! the 375 doesnt kick much more than my 30-06 and was very accurate for shooting off hand. the 458 win mag....this one is the thumper!!! 510grain bullet, it packs a nice little punch! i shot it several times with a big grin on my face!! i havent bought it yet but i have decided on a cz550 in 375h&h, just waiting for the right deal!! thanks for all your advice!!

Whittakers in Ky has these CZ's right now. Mid Summer might do a little better especially if the economy cools some more.

CZ 550 Safari Magnum cal. .375H&H mag, Express Sights $854.99

CZ 550 Safari Magnum cal. .416Rigby, Express Sights 854.99

CZ 550 Safari Magnum cal. .458mag., Express Sights $854.99

CZ 550 Safari Magnum cal. .300mag, Express Sights $854.99

CZ 550 American Safari Magnum cal. .458Lott, Express Sights - Field grade stock $914.99

CZ 550 American Safari Magnum cal. .375H&H mag, Express Sights - field grade stock $854.99

CZ 550 American Safari Magnum cal. .416 Rigby. Express Sights - Field grade stock $854.99

CZ 550 American Safari Magnum cal. .458mag, Express Sights - field grade stock $854.99