Are low budget game cameras worth spending money on?

Hi, have a $50 Gander Mountain gift gard.  Kicking around theach idea of buying a game camera in the $60-$120 range for use at some hunting spots.  Totally new to game cameras and the reviews seem mixed until you get to $200 and above.   Are the low end cameras worth buying, or better to save for a $200 - $300 model?  

My main concern would be clarity and range, and of course something that will last for many years.

Thanks 

Edited by Guest

I'm my experience, they all end up dying after 2 or 3 yeArs so go with something in the 100 to $150 range. I feel it is hard to beat the Browning line of cams. I have 4 and 2 are in their third year of heavy use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I will echo Climbers post, I think they all have a limited lifespan, especially if you leave them up all year long. With that said, I haven't had what I would consider a high end camera, and doubt that I will. I have had good luck out of moultrie brand. I would look at top reviews along with the remarks you get here and go from there.

I have 6 that I bought more than 5 years ago for less than $60 on sale (2 were $40). I had one that was $200. The $200 one didn't last one season :mad:. 4 of the 6 cheap ones still work, but most are on there last leg. I have mixed feelings about buying expensive ones. I can confirm that the cheapies will work though but will most likely sacrifice features like LCD screen for viewing pics, settings, type of night vision/flash, trigger speed, no sound, battery life, etc. My next cameras will probably be in the $100 range. Although I would like to have one of the Verizon enabled cell cameras to email the pics to me in some of my remote spots. (or email the pic of the thief taking it home)

I have a  Wildgame Innovations from Dick's that I paid about $50 for.  It's the only cam I've ever had. Quality of the photos is great.  It doesn't seem to trigger past about 10 yards.  Only complaint is that sometimes when I replace the card it doesn't take any pictures.  I try to remember to test it when I replace the card.  I've only had it for a few months but so far I have no complaints.

I have a Stealth Cam STC-G42NG that I remember paying around $100 over 18 mos ago.  It has been good so far, does goes through the batteries, probably because I keep it on video all of the time.  The still pictures are good quality, but boring in comparison to video.  The video is HD.  I have thought about buying another one, and will buy this same one again. 

Edited by runco
48 minutes ago, 10-Ring said:

I have a  Wildgame Innovations from Dick's that I paid about $50 for.  It's the only cam I've ever had. Quality of the photos is great.  It doesn't seem to trigger past about 10 yards.  Only complaint is that sometimes when I replace the card it doesn't take any pictures.  I try to remember to test it when I replace the card.  I've only had it for a few months but so far I have no complaints.

Quite a review. "No complaints even though I have the complaint that sometimes it doesn't work." ;)

- OS

• Like 1

I have four different ones, all under $100, and they all have their issues which I doubt throwing more money at them will fix.  Battery life, photo quality (some blurred due to movement) and trigger with branches and or the sun/shadows and short distance of trigger.  But for me, I can live with all that, I only leave them out a month or so at a time right before season, and sometimes during.  I am not after great pictures, what I am after is confirmation of movement, time, species, and sex of said movement.  If sun triggers more pics, no issue, the card holds hundreds, blurry, no problem as long as I can tell buck or doe, Battery life usually gives me a seasons use, video slightly less so again no issue I just keep fresh ones on-hand, with rechargeable ones for the AA type.  And for the distance issues,  I make sure to place at funnels or trails to make sure they are within range. 

23 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

Quite a review. "No complaints even though I have the complaint that sometimes it doesn't work." ;)

- OS

I just try not to complain too much, it sets me apart from the crowd :)  

Seriously though I figure it's a minor issue for a $50 piece of equipment that is otherwise good.  Just have to remember to check function.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Omega said:

I have four different ones, all under $100, and they all have their issues which I doubt throwing more money at them will fix.  Battery life, photo quality (some blurred due to movement) and trigger with branches and or the sun/shadows and short distance of trigger.  But for me, I can live with all that, I only leave them out a month or so at a time right before season, and sometimes during.  I am not after great pictures, what I am after is confirmation of movement, time, species, and sex of said movement.  If sun triggers more pics, no issue, the card holds hundreds, blurry, no problem as long as I can tell buck or doe, Battery life usually gives me a seasons use, video slightly less so again no issue I just keep fresh ones on-hand, with rechargeable ones for the AA type.  And for the distance issues,  I make sure to place at funnels or trails to make sure they are within range. 

I have a Simmons camera that just started triggering at every little movement. Last time I pulled the card, it had over 4000 pictures during a two week period, lol. I didn't mind too much especially since it had a couple nice bucks on there too. It just took forever to go through it all. The last 2 pulls have been similar. Plus, now I know what every shadow looks like in that spot :)

16 minutes ago, Wingshooter said:

I have a Simmons camera that just started triggering at every little movement. Last time I pulled the card, it had over 4000 pictures during a two week period, lol. I didn't mind too much especially since it had a couple nice bucks on there too. It just took forever to go through it all. The last 2 pulls have been similar. Plus, now I know what every shadow looks like in that spot :)

I would look for squirrels in the frames, I had a spot that the squirrels loved to trigger my camera.  They are fast enough to get out of the frame before it takes a pic.  Another thing is the sun, when leaves reflect it, it sometimes triggers the pics.

• Like 1