anybody use Medishare or Samaritan in place of health insurance?

seez52

The my grandfather health insurance policy is now canceled at the end of the year due to obamacare I'm looking for alternatives. Being self employed the new premiums under the Affordable Care Act (what a joke) will basically leave me without insurance, or at least any I can afford. ($775 previously, now $1,403)

These two cooperatives work kinda like insurance in that a larger group pays bills for each other, though it's not actually insurance. It's a private affair with a heavy emphasis on Christian relationships. Joining one exempts you from paying the IRS penalty under obamacare. Each of them works a little differently, but just trying to see if anyone has had personal experience with either of them.

I have no 1st hand experience, but a friend of a friend has this, and had a major medical issue last year, and was very impressed. 

https://mychristiancare.org/medi-share/

Why Medi-Share?

Medi-Share is a healthcare sharing ministry where members share each other's medical expenses. Since 1993, Medi-Share members have shared and discounted more than $1.2 billion in medical bills! 

Choice: Members of Medi-Share have a God-honoring choice for their healthcare, and their dollars will never be used for procedures that go against their conscience.

Acceptable: Although not insurance, Medi-Share members are exempt from the mandate to purchase insurance or face financial penalties. 

Affordable: With seven levels of sharing, you'll find flexible options to fit your family and budget, at around half the cost of other healthcare programs.

Access: Use one of the largest networks of providers in the country, or choose your own provider. 

Community: Fellow members will be praying for and encouraging you and you'll have the opportunity to do the same. 

Learn more about How Medi-Share Works.

If they will take me this is the way I'm going to have to go. My family share will be right around $500 with a $5000 deductible which beats obamacare by almost $1000 per month.

A buddy of mine has had it for about 2 years and has given it good marks.

You don't smoke? drink?

You can't smoke, but you can drink (but not abuse). I have been a member for 10 years now and it's worked well for my family. We don't run to the doctor for every little thing like many people and have very few accidents that need care. I think we've been to the doctor for stuff maybe 8 times in the last 10 years (4 1/2 of those years being with twin daughters.)

• Like 1

You can't smoke, but you can drink (but not abuse). I have been a member for 10 years now and it's worked well for my family. We don't run to the doctor for every little thing like many people and have very few accidents that need care. I think we've been to the doctor for stuff maybe 8 times in the last 10 years (4 1/2 of those years being with twin daughters.)

Yeah, it was a trick question. 

Coming from a family of alcoholics, being one myself, it was the drinking that killed several of the men, not the smoking. Fine line between abuse and non-abuse.

That said, there are several biblical principles by which I cannot, will not, join them. Aside from the obvious hypocrisy.