Colt 1991O, Opinions

runco

Congratulations!!  I think you made a really good choice and am confident you'll be pleased.  "Entry level"?  I don't know what that's supposed to mean.  I suppose it means someone else spent more money on theirs and got more bells and whistles.  The armed forces used their entry level 1911s a lot of years.

Hope you, your kids, and your grandkids enjoy that gun.

• Like 1

Its hereeeeee!  

Received a notice yesterday it shipped 2nd day, and the tracking number said it would be here Monday.  Oh well!  Today at lunch, just checked the delivery number again, and WOW, it was out for delivery to my LGS.  After work, swung by, and yep it was there.  Paid the transfer and TICS, and yep I am now a proud member of the 1911 club, I plan to shoot it next week.  Less than 96 hours after I pressed enter on the computer and now its in my possession.  Now to fill out the rebate papers for the $100 and I will then have ~$634 OTD price.  That was a good deal, I think.

Here are some pics.

[url=http://s963.photobucket.com/user/runco0318/media/TGO1_zpsa2a3f6b4.jpg.html]TGO1_zpsa2a3f6b4.jpg[/URL]

[url=http://s963.photobucket.com/user/runco0318/media/TGO2_zps1abe3f82.jpg.html]TGO2_zps1abe3f82.jpg[/URL]

[url=http://s963.photobucket.com/user/runco0318/media/TGO3_zpsb61c5cb3.jpg.html]TGO3_zpsb61c5cb3.jpg[/URL]

Edited by Runco
  • Like 4

UPDATE, Range Report

On vacation this week, and finally got down to my local indoor gun range.  Lets say it was a 45 day, because I took my Sig P220 Carry, Glock 21 Gen2 and my new Colt 1991.  I brought both factory ammo and reloads. 

I went ahead and shot the Sig first, then the Glock, and then the Colt.  My first impression, I was impressed with the measurable recoil difference between the Sig and Colt, advantage Colt, Glock was in 3rd.  I really tried to focus on the trigger feel, and the Sig in single action felt better than the Colt, but the Colt was sweet, and all had a clear predictable crisp break point.  Accuracy, well this is what I was amazed at, I was much better with the Colt than the Sig, and the Glock was all over the place today.  In the end I shot maybe 100-200 rounds, with 2/3 being with the Colt. 

Conclusion, I was very impressed with the Colt, and how it shot, and I loved the balance feel of the 1911.  I will likely still carry my Sig or one of the Glocks as my concealed carry, but the Colt will make the line up time to time.  I have already purchased a Crossbreed Supertuck for it, just in case it makes to the rotation of which I am confident it will.  I am very pleased with the purchase, and now I will ponder what to buy next.  I will have to have one more, in order to make a fair A to B comparison. 

[URL=http://s963.photobucket.com/user/runco0318/media/NO1_zps9da04660.jpg.html]NO1_zps9da04660.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s963.photobucket.com/user/runco0318/media/NO2_zps0b5e136c.jpg.html]NO2_zps0b5e136c.jpg[/URL]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Belatedly finished Reading your Colt saga. Fantastic deal on what has proved to be a fine .45 based on your report!

Your Colt should serve you and yours well for years whether you leave it totally stock or get the tweaking bug.

Years ago I purchased a 1991A Colt Officer. When I came upon it at the Nashville Fairgrounds gun show, it was a Novaks tweaked model sold in that form by Colt based upon the box. It has a Birdsong type black finish, Novak sights, Novak trigger work and an Ed Brown grip safety. The grip safety has the finest fitment that I have ever encountered. The remaining plastic parts are the trigger and the main spring housing. They blend in so well I have yet to feel the need to change out either.

I did replace the spring assembly with an Ed Brown reverse plug and spring system that was fitted by Jeff Walle (now at Guns & Leather). This is a mod that is only a good idea for the Officer size setup. Jeff did a free throat polish as well! He also installed a Wilson Bullet Proof extractor.

Your full size will likely not require any of these tweaks, but I guess my long winded post is just pointing out your 1991A has "solid bones" that will serve you well in any configuration. You made a solid choice! And you got a great price! Congratulations on a new family heirloom!
  • Like 1