My level 1 pouch

I want to put together my Bugout Bag in levels or tiers.  As of now I am building my level 1 pouch which in my opinion must fulfill 3 purposes, Fire, Food, and Shelter.  I want my level 1 to be small enough that if I have to I can wear it on my 5.11 operator belt or easily attach it to my level 2, and contain items that in addition to my edc I could survive 2 nights.

I picked the Condor GP pouch for the base of this kit.  It measures 6.25"x7.25"x1.5", and has pals/molle webbing for attachment.

condor_gp_pouch_utility_general_purpose_

So here is what I have so far.

Adventure medical kits 2 person survival blanket 60"x96"

Condor Multiwrap

Water purification tablets------------------------------------------------>Now an Aqua mira filter straw

Credit car wrapped with duct tape and fishing line

dental floss

Light my fire firesteel

bic lighter

altoids tin with dryer lint and petroleum jelly

magnesium block with a separate knife

Waterproof matches in water tight container

multi-tool

small single AA flashlight

12' 550 cord

2 Snickers Marathon protein bars

small tube Carmex

Here is what I still want to add

Lifeboat rations

simple first aid, couple bandaids, gauze, and small bottle with assorted meds(ibuprofen, Imodium, benadryl).

So I'm open to any suggestions or criticism.  Do I really need as many ways to start fire as I have or could I trim that to just bic lighter and dryer lint with petroleum jelly and firesteel.  My match container is about the size of a film canister so I know I can cut that down.

*Update,

I took out the water purification tablets, and added an aqua mira filter straw.  I added a small knife just for the magnesium block so I don't dull my edc knife.  I also added about 12' of 550 cord for building a shelter.  I added 2 Snickers Marathon protein bars. 

Edited by tennessee01tacoma
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My "level1" is a bit smaller than yours, but similar in idea.  I have the voodoo tactical bdu wallet. 

Inside: magnesium fire starter, CRKT pocketknife, large drawstring trashbag, Bic lighter, 2 large safety pins, 3 medium safety pins, 3 yards of paracord, 30 feet of strong fishing line, a square of aluminum foil, and a reflective blanket.  I know there could be more, but this fits in my cell phone pocket on my pants and is a bare-bones survival kit.

wallet_zps0ff0d208.jpg

walletopen_zps5d00080c.jpg

I have 2 ways to make fire, but I know that the more options you have, the better your chances. 

• 1 month later...

My "level1" is a bit smaller than yours, but similar in idea.  I have the voodoo tactical bdu wallet. 

Inside: magnesium fire starter, CRKT pocketknife, large drawstring trashbag, Bic lighter, 2 large safety pins, 3 medium safety pins, 3 yards of paracord, 30 feet of strong fishing line, a square of aluminum foil, and a reflective blanket.  I know there could be more, but this fits in my cell phone pocket on my pants and is a bare-bones survival kit.

wallet_zps0ff0d208.jpg

walletopen_zps5d00080c.jpg

I have 2 ways to make fire, but I know that the more options you have, the better your chances. 

I like it!  Just curious, why does everyone have safety pins in their survival kits I have some now but other than pining clothing back together and maybe using it to dig out a splinter I can't think of other uses for them.

Glad to see some other ideas...

I have 3 Voodoo packs: one for tools/fasteners, one for first aid/hygeine, and one for fishing/snares. These packs go in my EDC bag.

Then my main pack that stays in the truck has a pretty exhaustive med pack I put together piece-by-piece, a folding stove and some cooking gear, a small pup tent, gloves, hat, etc.

Each pack/bag has lights, blades, emergency blankets, lighters, storm matches, and magnesium rods (just in case) and ponchos too.