Southern Ohio Gun Rant

Karnage

On Christmas day I was doing a little online window shopping.  I was looking at the Southern Ohio Gun website and noticed that they had used Glock 22 magazines for $12.75.  Knowing that you can never have too many range magazines I placed an order for ten.  I immediately received an order confirmation email from SOG.  On December 29 I received an email from SOG saying that my order had been updated.  While looking at the email I noticed that they were charging me $23.64 per magazine instead of the $12.75 that I had purchased them at.  As an armorer I can buy brand new magazines from Glock cheaper than $23.64.

I called SOG this morning and explained to them that when I ordered the magazines they were $12.75.  Their response was sorry our pricing is subject to change without notice.  They then went on to say that they would not honor the $12.75 price.  They said that even after an order has been received if there is a price change they will modify the order.  I cancelled the order.  I explained that I believe it is bad business to sell an item then, before shipping it, almost double the price.  I told them that I would not be placing any more orders with their company and that I would tell everyone that I know of their business practices.   I had purchased from SOG before and the only complaint that I had was the lack of updated shipping information.  The last time I received an email that my order had been shipped the day after the rifle arrived at my house.

Edited by Karnage
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t know if it’s legal to change the price after you have confirmation, but would guess there is something in the details you agreed to that allows it.

I would have let them ship and then disputed the charge on my credit card. They may have got the extra money, but I would have made them work for it. Chances are they would have settled for the amount you bought them at.

We all get pizzed when companies do this and everyone swears they will never buy from them again. CTD is still in business and this is the 2nd time they have jacked prices through the roof, although they did it before the sale not after.

I would have done as DaveTN recommended. Disputing a transaction normally pulls the funds from the seller back to you until the issue is resolved one way or the other. We got a dispute from a customer over seas one time because he did not want to pay the duties he was being charged for shipping it. Even though we submitted all the proper documents and terms of service and all we still did not win the dispute AND had to pay $500 to cover the cost of the dispute. It is a lose lose situation for us most of the time.

I would have let them ship and then disputed the charge on my credit card. They may have got the extra money, but I would have made them work for it. Chances are they would have settled for the amount you bought them at.

I thought about doing that but I didn't want to risk it going their way and ending up paying $236.40 for 10 used Glock mags.

I placed an order with S.O.G. on 19 December.  After ordering I received a call that a couple of items I'd ordered were now out of stock.  They're expected in later this week.  They asked if I wanted them to split the order or wait for everything to be shipped at one time.  In order to save a bit on shipping, I said send it all when it's all available. 

I just checked my order status on their site and the only amount additional to the original price was the 3% they add for a cc purchase plus they have calculated and added the shipping cost.  The items still haven't shipped but I didn't expect it to be shipped yet.  So far, everything seems as it should and as I've experienced with past orders form them.  No unexplained increases.  I'll be keeping an eye on it.  I still have the original email confirmation with the original prices if I need it for reference.

I had also placed an order with Midway around the same day.  When checking my order status I did see that they had listed prices higher than when I ordered but they had put a line through the higher prices and charged the price of the items to as they were when I ordered.

Thanks for the heads up.  I'll be paying attention.

Only placed one order with SOG and was not impressed. Ordered a Walther P1 advertised as excellent condition, payed the extra for hand select and got a pistol that looked like it had been dragged behind a truck. The front site was poorly fitted, the finish is pitted and worn through, the rails are pretty chewed up looking. Just not good at all. The worse part is I spent $30 more than I would have T AIM or wideners and everything I've ordered through AIM has been super clean. Wideners includes two mags a holster and cleaning kit. Just not impressed with SOG. Probably should have called and let them know why I'm none to keen on them but figured instead ill wait for something else I want and give them a second chance. Practices like raising prices after the sale make me reconsider that second chance.