Wanting (maybe needing) to start reloading...

I don't know where to begin, but I'm assuming that there is a wealth of info available. I'll get to that later today.

My question is, is reloading supplies drying up and the prices being over inflated during this scare as firearms and ammo seem to be? I want to learn reloading, but if I'm going to buy at premium prices for a half decent set of tools, then maybe I'll wait until the scare has worn off a little. My main reason for reloading is, I need a hobby... other than shooting, and hoping that it'll same me a little money. As it is now, I'm scared to shoot up any of my stock, as I'm getting afraid that I can't replace it.

Bill Goodmans and the RK shows come back next month and I've pretty much decided that there's no reason to go this time since prices will be crazy! But, if reloading supply prices are still stable, I may go to see, learn, and most likely buy a press, scales, etc.

Guest jmcleod

The panic buy has made components for .223 pretty scarce and to a lesser extent, .308.  Small primers are hard, but can still be found.  So If you plan to load a small primed case besides .223 or any large primed case you should be good. 

primers have been on-again, off-again for most of the obama administration.    A store down here always has them but limits you to one box per "visit".  I tried to find 223 bullets and there are almost none in stock anywhere.  I have plenty thankfully but have christmas money to spend....  and nothing that I want is still in stock ....   Presses are not in stock locally but probably not impossible to find online.

Anyway, where to start is going to depend on your calibers and budget.   You can acquire some of the stuff you need now while, a little at a time, while letting the out of stock stuff settle a bit.   You can probably go out today and find powder, primers, and dies for example. 

Edited by Jonnin
Guest GimpyLeg

There are plenty of suppliers online.  David (moderator of this forum) is in Ashland City and has supplies.  I get bullets from Falcon Bullets (www.falconbullets.com) and they seem to have a good stock.  True, some of the big names and lgs are having trouble with stock, but it's out there.

I have always enjoyed reloading (and unloading!).  It's a good hobby!

Guest jmcleod

I feel I should warn that many people who get into reloading find it addictive.  I started reloading 2 years ago, and now have three presses.  I bought a XD40 because I had 2 gallons of brass I'd picked up.  Lately, I've found myself shopping for a large caliber rifle so I could reload for it despite having no practical use for one.  I don't hunt.  I'm not alone in the addiction either. 

Guest jmcleod
those can share a bullet, if you want to do that.  I use a 95 grain 380 slug in 380,9, and 38 all for paper punching rounds. 

It CAN be done, but most of the time it shouldn't unless you really know what you're doing.  For a beginner, they should not share the same bullet.  9mm and .380 bullets are normally .355" for jacketed and .356" for cast lead.  .38 Spcl and .357 Mag bullets are normally .357" for jacketed and .358 for lead.  Swapping the two can work, or could result in excess presure or leading and inaccurate loads. 

agreed! You might be best to hold off until you have gotten into it a bit and stick to the exact proper components at first.

As he said, translated, the fatter 38 and 357s can spike pressure in a 9 or 380 due to a tight fit and also may not chamber well in an auto for the same reason (never tried doing this and won't!).  The other way around, the slightly undersided 380s work well in the 38 with soft lead it expands to close the slight gap.   A full 357 magnum load behind the 380 would probably be problematic for a variety of reasons.

Edited by Jonnin

I suggest that you go on line and shop for a rock chuckermaster master reloading kit [amazon and ebay are a good place to look]. I think if I were you I wouldn't buy a lee reloader. They aren't built to last.You should always start with a single station press and later, you can go to a production press [Dillon] after you have experience [1 1/2 - 2 years] . Everybody has their own preference on bullets, powder, and primers. I like Montana gold bullets, solo 1000 powder, and Winchester primers. Somebody else will have different likes and dislikes. To save the most money buy your primers by the sleeve [5000] you powder by the largest container, and bullets by case. Before getting started get yourself a good book on reloading and a couple of reloading manuals. Keep them in the bathroom. It's a great way to stay regular.

Guest Fruit jar
Go to the manf. website, ask for a catalog if they offer one. Use it for refence. Go to the online dealers and get their prices. Compare prices before going to ebay. I've seen items well over priced.

I must agree, that is funny.

Going to BPS today to see what they have. Probably just pick up a manual first to read a little... and MAYBE decide if I want to go to one, or both of the gun shows next month to shop for some supplies. I'm hoping to find someone there that can "hold my hand" during my first purchase to show me what I need and don't need.

I appreciate everyones responses...

Guest Fruit jar
I would go to a few websites before going to BPS. I have been to the one in Memphis and Nashville and have never bought anything from the reloading area.

I have contemplated reloading for 20+ years, just always viewed reloaders as essentic gun people who live in Idaho type settings.  Then one day I realized I am one of those essentic gun people who doesn't have the tools or experence to reload.  Runco get off your can and get busy!

But before I made the plunge, I still wanted to go about this from a common manly point of view, I started looking at the cost savings in a very analytical cost accountant way.  The first set of numbers, showed an actual cost increase to reload.  Then I went as far as seperating fixed costs from variable costs.  Still I could not see a measurable rate of return, if any, then it hit me.  If I move brass to fixed costs, and begin casting my own, then I can start to see a real savings.  Then when I thought I had it all figured out, then the bus hit me.  In its simpliest form, I just really need to know and have the capabilty at home on how to reload for my common calibers because there is coming a day that there will be no ammo to be found, and then what I am going to do?  Not shoot anymore?  So I finally said the heck with justifying my ROI, I need the equipment and supplies, press, dies, powder, primers, and either a life time supply of bullets or the abilty to cast on my own, I figure I have enough brass (loaded currently) to do myself.  So that was my decision.  I scarficed my next major gun purchase money for a complete A-Z setup for pistol/rifle.  Now I have all that I need or close to it.  I am currently working on a tumbler with stainless steel media.  I am already bidding on these on ebay as I type this.  (P.S. I could still use some more 223/5.56 brass though).  As soon as I am confident with loading brass, I will move to shotgun.  I actually shoot more shotgun (sporting clays) than brass shooting, but I have close to 1,000 shotgun rounds.

Guest Fruit jar

A friend sent me a craigslist link for brass. The price looked good so I called. He has other brass not listed. I'll pick it up on my trip to that area.

If the lack of ANYTHING at Bass Pro Shops is a sign of the times... we better get busy reloading. Luckily I've saved a lot of brass!

There were the usual "wanderers" who didn't know what they were looking at or even where they were... families that would walk in front of you and stop, everyone looking around in different directions not knowing which way to go or even acknowledge that someone was there waiting for them to move their asses. (Zombies?) Then there were the ones that we standing there waiting for the (Zombies?) to move, and picking through every box of ammo to see if there were any hidden treasures buried behind the not-so-popular calibers of ammo. The gun counter was crowded, but I wasn't really looking for guns, although I've thought about picking up a HD shotgun lately, especially since shells are still widely available. The reloading area was a disaster, finding only a couple of multi-stage (?) reloading kits in the $400 range. There was one book there, and I was only able to get to it after asking the man and his three kids to "please move or hand me that book". He was apparently waiting for his wife to go back to the front of the store to get a shopping cart and using that shelf to hold all of his items until she returned. IOW: It was a mad house.

I made it out alive, escaping only with a Blackhawk holster for my new G26.

I can only image that the gun shows in January are going to be as bad... I think I'm going to check Craigslist. lol