Best entry-point shotgun to try out Skeet Shooting

Guest VolMickey

Guest VolMickey

What's the best entry-point shotgun for a person to try out Skeet Shooting or other shotgun sports? Just looking for some advice. Thanks!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At one time, I thought folks preferred the 870 Wingmaster model over the Express model and the price too close enough to the Express to warrant the better quality of the Wingmaster? Or is that a thing of the past?

The Wingmaster is in a whole different league than the Express. The cost reflects that as well.

Guest Grout

+1.An 1100 would be a far better choice for a newby due to not having to manually chamber each round.Also you can find used 1100s pretty cheap.

Possibly, but when I shoot skeet or trap it's nice to not have to rack the pump when there are multiple clay pigeons.

I agree 100%. A semi-auto is the way to go, especially for a beginner. I can't imagine my first time dealing with multiples to have to think about racking after the first shot.

Guest jcramin

Benelli/Stoeger STF 3000 Over/Under at Dick's Sporting Goods $350 after sale and rebate. Great gun as a cheap way to play Skeet and Trap and Sporting Clays

Guest Traumaslave

I love an o/u for shooting skeet. My Dad has a Remington 3200 that I shot alot of trap with. I tried the skeet range with it a couple of times but, that full choke was a bitch!!:)

Guest Boomhower

I bought a Mossberg 500, synthetic stock with a 28" fixed choke and 18" slug barrel for $249.99 at Gandar Mtn. about the middle of last year.

But these guys do bring up good points. Many of them are things to consider when buying a gun. And guns aren't like cars where they loose 20% of it's value one you buy it. If you buy something and it turns out that you don't like it, or don't like the sport, somebody will generally give you close to what you paid for it.......but you'll love the sport, so go ahead and plan on getting addicted. :)

.......guns aren't like cars where they loose 20% of it's value one you buy it. If you buy something and it turns out that you don't like it, or don't like the sport, somebody will generally give you close to what you paid for it.......but you'll love the sport, so go ahead and plan on getting addicted. :rolleyes:

Excellent point. My advice would be to go to a gun store, try some on for size, buy the most you can afford and go shooting. You will buy another :D

+1.An 1100 would be a far better choice for a newby due to not having to manually chamber each round.Also you can find used 1100s pretty cheap.

If you are looking for a skeet gun, I bought an 870 as my first shotgun back in Oct. of 2008. Great gun. As far as the "effort" of chambering a round, most skeet ranges are pretty strict about their 2 shell rule. No more than 2 rounds in the gun at any time. I have been to skeet clubs here and in Ohio, and all the folks I have met said that the 2 round policy is pretty standard.

Here's exactly what I bought, except I bought the hand grip separate, and mine was a lot cheaper. But with the Obama scare, all prices have been driven up.

For no more than I skeet shoot, she's all I need. Pistol grip and 18" brl stay on 90% of the time.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/015813514828.html

moss_51482.jpg

Good lord $369.00....didnt this setup used to be pretty common at $280?

If you think there's any chance at all you will like skeet, then you will want to try sporting clays as well. If you think it's a possibility you'll like it, then DO NOT buy a dang pump gun. Sure you only shoot twice, but having to rack it once is enough to throw off your timing. Especially in sporting clays when shooting true pairs.

Get something that will take you through to at least competent level. A good start is a semi-auto. You could buy a cheapo, fairly crappy hunting O/U, not built for sport or for the same money have a pretty decent used Remington 1100. The inexpensive O/U are not bad guns for hunting where you shoot usually 15-20 time maybe. That same gun will not hold up long to the rigors of sporting clays, 100 rounds per shooting round. Not even my Baikal hunter will and those things while not refined, are built like tanks. You can use the 1100 for other things too, but it will make a nice skeet or sporting clays gun. Get something that has 26" or 28" bbls. An O/U is a great clays gun, it is what I shoot I love them, but you have to have a quality one and because of the cost to build a high quality well regulated one, a nice semi is the better choice.

OK now here's the most important part, find a gun that points for you. If it doesn't point, I don't care if it is $100 or $5k, you'll hate shooting it and drop the sport, as you likely will trying to get good on a pumper. Holding the gun in a ready to mount position focus on a point a few yards away. Close your eyes, mount the gun and open your eyes. Is that gun pointed in the same place?

This is more important for shotguns than any other guns. It has to be an extension of your outstetched arm and pointing finger. If it isn't it won't do. I personally shoot Berettas, why? Because of the quality clays guns they point the best for me. I have shot Guerinis and K Guns that were $15k. Couldn't hit a thing, mainly shot over everything. They are all just different enough to make a huge diff. Now top end shooters then take guns that point well for them and spend hundreds or more fine tuning them to fit perfectly.

You don't have to worry about all that. Just get a decent semi and give it a whirl. In my opinion sporting clays is the most fun of just about any shooting sport out there, though I like CAS and 3 gun as well.